Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering hard drive data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blainehof

blainehof

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

My nieces Macbook crashed and the Apple store says it's the hard drive. She's having a new one installed but wants to see if any of the photos/data can be recovered.I've read and heard about software that will do this but if I try to do it on my desktop which runs Windows 7 and of course she's running one of the Apple OS's is that a problem? Am I barking up an impossible tree?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:24 AM

MacDrive 8. There might be a free way to recover the data. this was from a quick Google search.

#3 blainehof

blainehof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the tip. If what the ad says is true it sounds like it will do exactly what I'm asking

#4 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

If you have no access to another Mac.
There are some recovery utilities that ignore the hard drive's partitioning and formatting.
Often they are on a bootable Linux CD that you can download.

Your best bet would be to buy an external case or cable adapter that enables you to plug the old hard drive into the Mac.
The MacBook's old harddrive is a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive.
You can buy cables that allow you to plug the bare drive into the MacBook through USB.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U2NV2SPATA/ $27
Or the Voyager that I use every week for recovery
http://eshop.macsales.com/
You can download Data Rescue 3 from Prosoft and run it. It will show you what it thinks it can recover, recover 1 file as a test, then you can purchase a license to recover the files.
TestDisk and PhotoRec are free utilities and can be found on wikipedia. Very geeky command line interface.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#5 blainehof

blainehof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:11 PM

To davidanders,
Thanks for the additional information. Once she has the new hard drive installed I guess we can use the Macbook and just hook the old/bad drive to it via cable or enclosure. I am heartened not only by the info you've given me but also I am always impressed and amazed at the help my fellow computer users and enthusiasts are so willing to share with me. Thanks again,
Blaine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users