Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Slow start up after clicking website that wouldn't close

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 txzookeeper


  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 running XP Service Pack 3. It was doing ok until I searched google for something last week and clicked on a website that wouldn't let me leave. I got it to close by going to task manager. Since then though, my computer takes at least 5 minutes to boot up. Sometimes it takes longer. It will slow on the Dell screen and then on the following screens. Once it gets to the sign in screen it's fine. I also cannot play most games anymore. I have avast anti-virus runnning and it found Win32:Rootkit-gen and moved it to the chest. It hasn't found anything since. I've run Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and Spybot and they all come back clean. My computer won't boot into safe mode. I tried yesterday and it hung after listing things it was loading. I finally turned it off and then turned it back on. I let it run the check since the system wasn't shut down properly and it took about 3 hours for that to complete because it is so slow. The real reason that I think it must be something on the computer is because of that website that wouldn't allow me to close it. I don't even remember what it was, but I think I was looking for a coupon for something at the time. The next morning after the computer had been shut down was when the problem started. Can someone tell me what else I can do to try and find out what's wrong? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users