Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two USB Drives Listed Under My Computed But Nothing Connected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FlyerEd

FlyerEd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

Windows XP (Home Edition) SP3. I have two USB drives (F) & (G) that show up under My Computer or Device Manager that have nothing connected to them.
All other drive letters are correct. Perhaps the individual who owned the computer prior to me had something connected to these. I would like to remove them from the listings. Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

If there is a letter assignment reflected in My Computer...there is a device attached.

What you call "drives"...may be nothing but partitions.

What USB devices do you currently have attached?

No device equals no letter in My Computer, although some attached devices may not be reflected in My Computer (e.g., an unformatted hard drive). If something is reflected as being present when it's not present...you have a problem I have never seen any data on.

Take a look in Disk Managment and see what's reflected there. You might also take a look in Device Manager and see what is reflected there for drives.

Start/Run...type diskmmgmt.msc and hit Enter for Disk Management.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter for Device Manaqer.

Also...some card readers may be reflected as multiple drives in My Computer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users