Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ThinkPad T43 running XP Pro won't write CDs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DAVEinHOUSTON

DAVEinHOUSTON

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

My IBM Lenovo ThinkPad T43 (model 1871), running XP Pro (sp3 build 2600), fails to successfully write a CD-R in my DVD/CD-RW drive (Toshiba SD-R9012). The disk still appears blank after the write attempt, but is apparently not even if the system thinks it is. A brand new blank CD-R will go through the whole routine of attempting to write an ISO file to disk using ImgBurn 2.5.4.0 but fails on the verify saying that layouts do not match. That disk will still register as empty to the system, but further attempts to write to it end up with an I/O error occuring at the 36% complete point. I did get a blank CD-RW to successfully write using the software provided by Numus Diskbuilder (www.user-guides.co.uk), but that uses their software to complete the operation. Also, the DVD/CD-RW drive passes all tests run by the ThinkPad testing software (which calls itself PC Doctor 2.0 but is especially configured to test ThinkPads) that I downloaded using Numun Diskbuilder from that website. I have also tried using RecordNow! version 7 (Sonic) to try to write an ISO file to disk, but it fails too, and that software as well as ImgBurn 2.5.4.0 seem to have problems running on my system. I know this is a great deal to digest all at once, but if someone could help me figure out why my system will not write CDs I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

You Could try to use ISORecorder31X64.msi also verify that the disk speed of blank media is compatible. Have you tried any other brand media?
How will you learn if you don't ask questions?

#3 DAVEinHOUSTON

DAVEinHOUSTON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hey Midga, thanks for the reply. I'll check out ISORecorder. Haven't heard of that one. And hadn't thought about the write speed of the blank media not being compatible. Will definetly look at that. I have tried two different brands of media, those being Verbatim (sp?) which is the one I am having the trouble with, and the CompUSA store brand of RW media. The CompUSA media is what I got to work finally. Am honestly wondering if I have a bad batch of CD-Rs. Only the software in use seems to have problems as well. And I don't actually have any error codes or anything like that, just the message that an IO error has occurred. Beginning to wonder if it's not something that *I'm* doing wrong. Like I said in my intro, I don't know a damn thing about computers, really, I just have a background in electronics and that was enough to get me the job I used to have. <shaking head>

Will try ISORecorder. Maybe it will help me figure out what's going on. I keep thinking that IMGBurn has to be at least partially at fault, only nobody else seems to have any problems with it. I got it off of CNet, where it seems to be highly regarded. And that is hard to discount. They seem to know what they are doing there.

Have had one so-called expert encouraging me to run ComboFix on the system, but am very leary of doing such without knowing more about that piece of software. I had someone else run it on my system at one point, while dealing with the fallout from a peice of malware I inadvertantly downloaded, and all the stuff I saw it doing was honestly a little scary. Looked like one wrong move could blow me totally out of the water and leave me with a brick (doorstop) instead of a working laptop. Another reason I signed on here. I sense knowledge and experience in these waters, and would like to avail myself of some of that.

Best,

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users