Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot update

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 monthecleaner

monthecleaner

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

I can't even try to start the malware process as internet explorer won't work while my explorer is down, I'm going bald PLEASE help

Monica

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

Are you getting an error message? If so, what exactly does it say?

What is or isn't happening with your computer other than not being able to run your anti malware?

Can you get on line with a different browser, such as Firefox?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 monthecleaner

monthecleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hi there

windows explore is down, I am suppossed to install updates etc, but microsoft will only let me do it on IE but I cannot use IE or anything else much while explorer is down, the mozilla extension for IE does not work on my browser, I'm feeling victimised

mon

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

Are you getting any error messages? This important information, please answer this question.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 monthecleaner

monthecleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

I get

windows explorer has encountered a problem if I press close dr watson then pops up and says the same thing

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

Run sfc with the scannow option, this will scan and repair important Windows files.

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

*Credit for these instructions goes to USASMA.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

#7 monthecleaner

monthecleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

trying now

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

If you can't run sfc /scannow, run chkdsk /r

Go to Start, click on Run, and type cmd in the box and then click OK.
In the page that opens type in chkdsk /r and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.

Edited by dc3, 19 December 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#9 monthecleaner

monthecleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

okay, it has asked for the cd which of course I do not have as this laptop came pre installed and iqon are out of business the problem is dll files

mon

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

That is why I posted the other suggestion.

I have to leave, I have fifteen minutes to get cleaned up and out the door. I will be back this afternoon and will check back then.

Sorry to have to run.

Dan

#11 monthecleaner

monthecleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

okay have fun

mon

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

Try the chkdsk /r please.

I wish this were fun. I'm off to repair an electrical installation that a home owner tried to install. :whistle:

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

One last thing before I'm out the door.

Do know anyone that you can borrow a retail copy of XP? It will have to be a retail copy, and must be the same version as yours, eg. Home or Pro.

Here's an explanation of the difference between OEM and retail copies.

There are several versions of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer," and these versions are sold to computer system builders like Dell or Gateway. These versions have a few limitations like support and licensing. OEM versions are tied to the original computer the operating system is installed on, so you cannot use it on another machine. Retail versions of Windows XP are fully supported, and you can install it on any machine. You can detect an OEM version of Windows XP by viewing the packaging or the hologram on the installation CD.

If you can borrow an installation CD you can do a repair installation which will fix this problem if the chkdsk doesn't. This will not affect your data.

Edited by dc3, 19 December 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#14 monthecleaner

monthecleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

welcome home,

I hope it wasn't too shocking an experience (groan)

I ran chkdsk, it said
deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $130) from file record segment 28118
then it said
correcting error in index $130 file 28118

but sadly explorer is still not talking to me, I am now trying to find an xp owner although almost everyone at the university of cambridge works with apple

mon

#15 monthecleaner

monthecleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

it is 9pm here and I need to go to bed as I start work at 4am will return tomorrow, thanx for today

mon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users