Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh Man (lot's Of Bad Stuff Again)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sour cream

sour cream

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:40 PM

O.k I go to defrag and BOOM error

defragmentation of hp pavilion C has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were dectected in the file system. please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on hp pavilion C to repain these inconsistencies, then run Disk defrager again.

so I go and type CHKDSK into run and It opens a window and completes what it was doing. I go back and the same error comes up. So I go to run again and type in SCANDISK and it was invalid. After, i try to open a CMD window and this error appears

C:/windows/system32/cmd.com
C:/windows/system32/autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. Choose to bla or bla this application.

Any help please :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:47 AM

Reboot your system and press F8 to bring up the boot menu. Choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if a second menu appears choose the operating system and press Return to boot to Windows XP. Then use the CHKDSK command...

C:\>chkdsk /? shows you available options so you know what the next step does -

C:\>chkdsk /f /r

...will attempt to fix the C: drive/volume, do a surface scan, and attempt to recover data. You may be prompted to Restart to kill any processes before it will run. The scan may take quite some time.

When it is finished boot into Safe Mode and do your defrag there.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:01 AM

The easiest is simply inserting the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and clicking start --> Run and entering:

expand X:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Replace X:\ with your CD ROM drive letter.

Microsoft has provided a solution for this problem here.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;324767

SECOND METHOD
http://unodocs.nmsu.edu/RoboDocs/WebHelp/j...iator/ji_05.htm
go thru the link

#4 sour cream

sour cream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

Reboot your system and press F8 to bring up the boot menu. Choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if a second menu appears choose the operating system and press Return to boot to Windows XP. Then use the CHKDSK command...

C:\>chkdsk /? shows you available options so you know what the next step does -

C:\>chkdsk /f /r

...will attempt to fix the C: drive/volume, do a surface scan, and attempt to recover data. You may be prompted to Restart to kill any processes before it will run. The scan may take quite some time.

When it is finished boot into Safe Mode and do your defrag there.

hth :thumbsup:

did it and it said something about it being read only? how do i fix that?

The easiest is simply inserting the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and clicking start --> Run and entering:

expand X:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Replace X:\ with your CD ROM drive letter.

Microsoft has provided a solution for this problem here.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;324767

SECOND METHOD
http://unodocs.nmsu.edu/RoboDocs/WebHelp/j...iator/ji_05.htm
go thru the link

too bad my computer didn't come with the CD =/

ok so i did solution 2 and it didn't work. but where is the file CHKDSK C/windows/system32

Edited by sour cream, 06 December 2005 - 03:08 PM.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:16 PM

Try it again with this command:

C:\>chkdsk C: /F /R

It may warn you that you need to schedule the checkdisk for the next restart - choose Yes then exit and reboot and the checkdisk should run as the system starts.

If an error still occurs write down the exact error message.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 MFDnSC

MFDnSC

Ret. Director I/T

• Members
  • 4,310 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:21 PM

cmd.com is not a valid file and could have been the result of malware

To fix the autoexec.nt problem

XP Fix - http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/

Scroll down to get XP Fix
=========
To fix cmd.com and other possible wrong files

Download pocket killbox from http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/killbox.exe & put it on the desktop where you can find it easily

now Start killbox paste the first file listed below into the full pathname and file to delete box

The file name will appear in the window and if the file exists it will appear in blue under that window then select standard file kill, press the red X button, say yes to the prompt and once the file deleted message comes up then repeat for each file in turn

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CMD.COM
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netstat.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tasklist.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tracert.com
"Nothing could be finer than to be in South Carolina ............"

Member ASAP

#7 sour cream

sour cream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:35 PM

Try it again with this command:

C:\>chkdsk C: /F /R

It may warn you that you need to schedule the checkdisk for the next restart - choose Yes then exit and reboot and the checkdisk should run as the system starts.

If an error still occurs write down the exact error message.

:thumbsup:

ok i did that and ya it did it's thing when i rebooted now what?

cmd.com is not a valid file and could have been the result of malware

To fix the autoexec.nt problem

XP Fix - http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/

Scroll down to get XP Fix
=========
To fix cmd.com and other possible wrong files

Download pocket killbox from http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/killbox.exe & put it on the desktop where you can find it easily

now Start killbox paste the first file listed below into the full pathname and file to delete box

The file name will appear in the window and if the file exists it will appear in blue under that window then select standard file kill, press the red X button, say yes to the prompt and once the file deleted message comes up then repeat for each file in turn

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CMD.COM
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netstat.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tasklist.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tracert.com

Thank you very much, my cmd window is working properly now =)

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:29 PM

Nice work from MFDnSC.

sour cream - Is your computer working properly now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users