Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect Windows Vista to internet, do i need to update Atheros Adaptor??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 7764jodie

7764jodie

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hi I hope im posting in the right thread now, useless with this sorry :) Can anyone please help?

I recently got a Virgin Media Super Hub & my computer connects fine to it using the Ethernet cable, my problem is though when I try to connect my wireless 'Compaq Laptop' to it using 'Windows Vista' it says I have a strong internet connection but the internet page wont load, it says 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'.

Iv rang Virgin media & spoke to numerous people to try to fix the problem but after hours on the phone they say my problem is that my 'Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adaptor' is not compatible with this hub so I need to update it. So I clicked on update & my computer says that it has installed the best available for my computer, iv also tried downloading 'Hardware Helper' & run a scan, which it reports back that I need to update 15 drivers but when i try to do so it asks me to register & pay!?

I didnt want to do this incase it opens a virus or at least until i know that that this is actually my problem?

Please help? :) Thanks Jodie :)

Edited by 7764jodie, 19 December 2010 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

Have you tried to use another browser like fire fox or chrome?
Have you made sure that the wireless LAN Ipv4 Ipv6 connections are configured correctly?
How will you learn if you don't ask questions?

#3 7764jodie

7764jodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the reply....Um sorry but how do I do this? I just press the 'e' button to load the internet its the only way I know how & as for checking if the wireless LAN is configured properly im clueless? :(
If it helps the Laptop works perfectly fine when I plug in the ethernet cable but with out it I get this problem, thats when Virgin media told me to update my Atheros....what ever this is I have no idea?? :s

Edited by 7764jodie, 19 December 2010 - 11:17 AM.

#4 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the reply....Um sorry but how do I do this? I just press the 'e' button to load the internet its the only way I know how & as for checking if the wireless LAN is configured properly im clueless? :(
If it helps the Laptop works perfectly fine when I plug in the ethernet cable but with out it I get this problem, thats when Virgin media told me to update my Atheros....what ever this is I have no idea?? :s

Download Google chrome and see if you get the same problem. As far as the rest, It would be beneficial to help you through remote assistance, if you want I can show you just PM me.

Edited by MIDGA, 19 December 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#5 7764jodie

7764jodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

Thanks just pm'ed you now :)

#6 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

see

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

Bleeping Computer does not endorse or support remote assistance between members.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 7764jodie

7764jodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:58 PM

its ok i havnt done this im still stuck :( can you help at all please? :)

#9 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

Bleeping Computer does not endorse or support remote assistance between members.

Is that wrong for me to offer that? just asking because I am new to using forums?

Edited by MIDGA, 19 December 2010 - 01:07 PM.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

I don't think you were wrong, I think it's more a case of not knowing how we operate our forums.

Due to several issues, one being liability, since the contact took place here. We cannot support the process of remote assistance. We have no way of gauging the competency of those who offer the remote help. This is not to say I doubt your sincerity, or ability. This means that if we allow it, how can we be assured that each and every one who would offer are competent and trustworthy. It becomes a matter of acting in the best interests of our members security and safety. We have no control of the content of help being offered remotely. While we have full control over quality and safety of the content shared on the forums. Add to that we all learn when a thread is posted for others to learn from which does not happen privately with remote assistance.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 7764jodie

7764jodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

Animal, Im confused....we havnt used Remote assistance at all, i dont even know how or what it is!? but because it was suggested does this mean that you cannot help me now?? :(

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,806 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

@ 7764jodie,

You can certainly receive assistance here on the forum. It's simply a matter of someone with knowledge of wireless networking being aware of your topic and providing that assistance.

Unfortunately, that lets me out as I have no experience with wireless networks.

All I can say is that since your computer works fine with the ethernet cable then the problem must lie in how the wireless connection or router is configured or secured.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hi I hope im posting in the right thread now, useless with this sorry :) Can anyone please help?

I recently got a Virgin Media Super Hub & my computer connects fine to it using the Ethernet cable, my problem is though when I try to connect my wireless 'Compaq Laptop' to it using 'Windows Vista' it says I have a strong internet connection but the internet page wont load, it says 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'.

Iv rang Virgin media & spoke to numerous people to try to fix the problem but after hours on the phone they say my problem is that my 'Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adaptor' is not compatible with this hub so I need to update it. So I clicked on update & my computer says that it has installed the best available for my computer, iv also tried downloading 'Hardware Helper' & run a scan, which it reports back that I need to update 15 drivers but when i try to do so it asks me to register & pay!?

I didnt want to do this incase it opens a virus or at least until i know that that this is actually my problem?

Please help? :) Thanks Jodie :)

#14 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

Did some searching for you and found this solution on another site, you may want to give it a try.
LINK

"kettle
Settled in nicely

Re: Cannot connect any wireless devices to new superhub
Options
on 18-12-2010 23:41

Hi, Installed super hub today and had the same problem, now ok and using my iPad. Went into hub advanced settings, under Setup, Wireless Settings, set 802.11 mode to "up to 145Mbs", channel to Auto; under Content Filtering, Services, unchecked the Firewall Features box. Saved the settings and both PC and iPad work fine. I have the 20Mb service but these changes may work, have to confess don't really understand why...cheers."

Edited by MIDGA, 20 December 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

Jodie, Atheros is simply the brand of wireless adapter in your laptop. When they said that you "need to update it", they are referring to the drivers your wireless adapter uses. Drivers are what allows your computer to use the wireless adapter.

What is a driver?

In order to help you, please follow these directions to publish a snapshot with Speccy. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users