Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not boot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

Hi, I changed out a bad motherboard, and can't get into safe mode to replace the drivers. How can I change the needed boot drivers using command prompt in windows system recovery options. Start-up auto Repair, not helping. PS, new to forum searching, I searched, but could not find and answer. Maybe not looking in the right place. Any help would be appreciated.
How will you learn if you don't ask questions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hi, You really should reinstall windows /OS ,it is suggest as best option in this case.
if you have file on the hard drive that you need ,then i suggest hooking it to another computer to retrieve the files ,all software will be lost of course ,
connect to othere computer via a usb external device ,may types to choose from ,like this type .
http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adaptv2.php
or this type .
http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=CSE

Edited by caperjac, 19 December 2010 - 10:10 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 MIDGA

MIDGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

@Caperjac,thanks, I have backed up data, and I know that re-loading OS will fix the issue, but for personal reasons, I don't want to do it. I know in the past that when I have been able to get in through safe-mode, that I can delete /replace drivers and everything works just fine. Any Other suggestions?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

What is the operating system you have on this hard drive and do you have the Windows installation disk?

I perfer your disk to be a Genuine retail copy of windows not an OEM system recovery disk that comes with preassembled computers from Walmart such as HP and eMachines etc.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MIDGA

MIDGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

The OS on HDD is VISTA 64 BIT Original Load is off a HP mini POS tower, I have a Genuine VISTA OEM Disk. HP motherboard was bad, so I replace the board.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

An OEM disk won't work with what I would have recommended.

The OEM disk you have may not even install on a motherboard to which there is no hardware ID specific to HP's hardware ID. IMO.

In other words, when you have an OEM version of a Windows installation disk, a lot of times, the disk software checks to see if the system has a HP manufactured motherboard before it attempts to install the OS, if the hardware ID is not that of HP, the disk will fail to install the OS and display a warning of such, because this copy is licensed to be installed on HP brand motherboards only.

If your disk has the name Hewlett Packard (HP) on it, you will most likely NOT be able to install this copy of Vista on any motherboard other than one made by HP.

You will have to purchase a Genuine Windows Vista disk from a retail store, not an OEM or system recovery version.

In this case, even if the PRODUCT KEY is different, there is a chance of copying windows over windows, with out actually erasing the original contents of the hard drive and will leave your personl files still intact, the newer Product key will of course, replace the old one. However, this is NOT possible to do with OEM disks.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 December 2010 - 11:59 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 MIDGA

MIDGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

The Disk I have is an OEM system builders disk purchased from New egg. not the disk' that came with the PC it.

Attached Files

Edited by MIDGA, 19 December 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Thank you for supplying a photo of the disk.

It appears you have a FULL version Of Windows Vista 64 Bit.

Okay, lets see if i can get you some success here with your system.

I have done the following procedure myself with Windows 7.

You have to follow my instructions carefully.

Be warned though, there are no guarantees that this will work.

You will be performing this procedure at your own risk.

You must have the product key handy that goes with your disk as you WILL be prompted for it at some point during the install.

First and foremost, please back up drive C:\ in any manor that you know how, just in case something goes wrong.

Your computer has to be able to boot into Windows Vista successfully in order for this procedure to work properly. (This is a must, if your computer can NOT boot into Windows Vista my instructions below will NOT work.)

INSTRUCTIONS

You will be installing Windows Vista over Windows Vista.

Boot your computer into Windows Vista (The one on your hard drive!!)

WARNING: Do NOT boot from the Vista installation disk, boot to your hard drive and allow Vista to load from IT!!!!
Booting from the DVD and installing will cause Vista to format your hard drive and wipe all previously stored data!

Once system is fully loaded, disable your anti-virus program if it is running.

Insert your Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and allow the splash screen to appear.

Ignore compatibility option in menu, concentrate ONLY on the INSTALL option.

Click INSTALL.

If Windows Vista opts to create a folder named WINDOWS.OLD please opt out, because your headed in the wrong direction with this procedure. This WINDOWS.OLD folder ends up being your original WINDOWS folder, which was replaced by a new folder called WINDOWS and new install of VISTA. Although some of your stuff will be in the WINDOWS.OLD folder, you will NOT be able to BOOT to this folder and all your programs will not function as they did previously, each will have to be re-installed all over again.

Now on to the instructions again...

The only response you should get from the INSTALL option, is the following: Windows is checking your system and preparing to install, or something similar to this wording.

I am hoping the install proceeds, if it does, the only folders, files and directories that Windows installation will over-write is its OWN FILES. It should not and I mean it should not over-write any files, folders or directories that you or another program created. If it did not create the file originally, it can't over-write it either.

You may have to go back to Windows Update and re-install previously installed windows updates.
If you have a service pack installed, that supersedes your installation disk's service pack, you will need to upgrade again to that service pack again.

Internet Explorer may be rolled back to the version on your installation disk, if you had Internet explorer 8 and the disk has Internet Explorer 7, you will be back to Internet Explorer 7 again and will have to upgrade again via downloads from Microsoft's download web site.

Please remember, everything that was created by Microsoft for Windows Vista will be the version number that is currently available on your installation disk, just as if you had done a fresh clean install.

So you will have to update your computer as far as Microsoft products are concerned.

Once the installation is complete, you must go to Windows update and re-install security patches and downloads with the KB letters in their names, these are Knowledge Base related patches from Microsoft that closes holes and vulnerabilities in your system to prevent hackers from exploiting those holes to take control of your computer. They MUST be re-patched to protect your computer!

Please let me know how this turns out.

As I warned, back up your hard drive first.

There is NO guarantees that this WILL work if it even attempts to install in the first place.
Your disk will be the deciding factor here as to whether it will work or not.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 December 2010 - 11:08 PM.

#9 MIDGA

MIDGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

Bruce, Thank you for the reply it was very detailed. I was talking to some people in the chat room and the general consensus was that I was wasting my time. Your method would not work for me anyway since I could not get to boot into either or. Long story short I reloaded the windows, and restored the files, and necessary programs. I do thank you for your time and hope to use your knowledge again in the future. :thumbup2:

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

Okay, as I stated in my post, there were no guarantees it would work in all cases, but it does work in some and was worth posting for the sake of publishing the procedure.

Hope all is well with you now and thank you for posting back to keep us updated.

Happy holidays to you and yours. :clapping:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users