Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning A Ntfs Drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

Is it possible to partition an existing drive without wiping it? I would like to partition the empty space on an 18 GB drive which currently is not partitioned and reformat the new partition in FAT32 while retaining the NTFS and data on the remainder of the drive. Is this possible or should I just backup my data and repartition the whole thing?

Running Windows XP pro SP 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

No problem. You need a utility that will repartition. I use Digtal Dolly.
You will need to download it to a folder on your computer. It will have to be unzip in the folder. You will need to burn the files only to a CD in .iso format. This will make it a bootable cd.
It will now boot to a Linux based GUI. Each window have a help page. It does not have requirements to run since it has it's own OS.
But you have the right idea..

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!

Better safe than sorry.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

Many thanks! :thumbsup:
So this can't be done from the Disk Management Console in WinXP?:flowers:

Another question: once I reformat the new partition in FAT32, I plan to install Win98SE on the partition to run my older, non-XP compatible programs. When I'm operating under WinXP (with NTFS) will I be able to access the FAT32 partition and conversely, can I access the NTFS partitions under Win98SE?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

No you can't not use NTSF (NT,XP) system under a FAT32 (9x,ME) system. I believe XP can use FAT32 files, but I'm going to defer to another member to say for sure.

#5 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:26 PM

Yes you can format your disk with FAT32 and Windows XP will run fine. The only real useful application for this is multi-booting, ...which you're doing.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

I would like to partition the empty space on an 18 GB drive which currently is not partitioned and reformat the new partition in FAT32 while retaining the NTFS and data on the remainder of the drive.

If you have unallocated space on a drive I believe Disk Management Console can partition that for you. It cannot partition off free space already part of the boot partition i.e. shrink the boot partition - that's what you would need Digital Dolly for.

When I'm operating under WinXP (with NTFS) will I be able to access the FAT32 partition

Yes, no problem.

conversely, can I access the NTFS partitions under Win98SE?

No, it will be invisible.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:02 AM

Remember you need at least 20% free on a hard drive for the OS to work properly. 18gb must have about 2gb for windows to function, drfrag, restore points,..

#8 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:40 AM

Please bear in mind that the oldest OS needs to be on the first partition. Disk Management is not capable of moving the partitions around. For that you will need digital dolly or partition magic.

Dual booting can be fun, just don't try and open both partitions at the same time LOL messes up the boot loader something awfull.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:49 PM

Please bear in mind that the oldest OS needs to be on the first partition.

I use two hard drives on my computer. Windows XP currently resides on the Primary Master along with the majority of my programs. The Primary Slave houses several hundred MP3's, documents and assorted files (and is the drive I wish to Partition and install Win98SE upon.) Both are single partion drives (i.e. the partition encompasses the entire drive.) I also use the PS for the WinXP pagefile.

How do I determine which drive/partition is the 'first' one? :thumbsup:

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:30 PM

The first partition is partition 0 on drive 0 on IDE channel 0 which will be the one you are booting off now, i.e. the C: drive in Windows XP.

You have made some contradictory statements when describing your drives -

Both are single partion drives (i.e. the partition encompasses the entire drive.)

an 18 GB drive which currently is not partitioned

I would like to partition the empty space

It may help if I clarify some of those terms with my own (rather rough) definitions:

Drive Space - the practical capacity after a drive has been low level formatted.
Partiton - a contiguous portion of the drive space that will contain a volume.
Unallocated space - Drive space that is not assigned to any partition.
Volume - a logical drive created by formatting a partition. Allocated the well known letters C:, D:, etc. by the operating system that uses those volumes.
Free Space - unused storage capacity inside a volume.

Acklan's 20% rule applies to volumes not to the physical drive e.g. there is no problem with having Windows XP in a 18GB volume with at least 2GB free space on a 100GB hard drive. The other 82GB can be allocated to other partitions or they may be unallocated space, either way they will have no effect on the way XP runs.

Have a look at this MS article on dual booting:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306559/EN-US/#i

dannyboy 950 is quite right, if you want to dual boot then Windows XP has to be installed last so you would basically have to backup and reinstall your entire system to achieve that. One way around that would be to use removable drive cradles which would mean you could only access one drive at a time, or just thinking out loud I've seen USB external hard drives made bootable which may be a way around reinstalling XP. :thumbsup:

Comments from people who have used external bootable drives?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:33 AM

Could he use a ethernet single drive NAS and network boot to it via PXE?

#12 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:30 PM

Why do I keep getting this vague memory of leaveing the last 640MB of a drive unalocated/used or some such.
Something in the cob webs about enough space to load fdisk and other files to be able to wipe and repartition or somesuch thing LOL Funny how the mind wanders when ya gets old. LOL

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:52 AM

Thats OK. I still move my 5.25" floppy drive everytime I get a different computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users