Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues: 4 Processes and 1 HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Davidian

Davidian

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:18 AM

To start my issue is this.

I have 1 HD that keeps disappearing
and 4 windows processes that use far too much processing power
I have turned off indexing and the media sharing thing, but WMP doesn't close properly the process still runs and beasts my system.

Full back story(which you could skip over) and explanation (titled present story) of the issues below.

|-------Back Story-------|
My Asus Workstation MOBO died not too long ago, and I couldn't find an acceptable replacement

I had

Processor: Athlon X2 3.2ghz
Ram: 2 x 2gb 800mhz ram corsair xms2 + dhx
MOBO: Asus M2N32 WS Professional
HD internal: 2 x WD Caviare Blue 500mb
HD External: 1 x WD book 1tb
PSU: Hiper 770w psu
Sound Card: M-audio Delta 10/10lt
GPU: ATi Radeon HD 5770
Case: Antec 900

All in all the PC suited my needs
And short of the MOBO dying, i NEVER had a problem with this Build.
I didn't game much but could handle anything i threw at it
and was fantastic for audio production, radio broadcasting, DJing etc.

All in all I was happy, and wasn't planning on upgrading until my system started struggling.

But as I said, Mobo died and I couldn't find an acceptable replacement
and I decided to go for a core overhaul.

I was not prepared to spend the money on an i7 - the money just didn't seem worth the minuscule increase
Considering the sandy bridge and bulldozer processors were going to be out next year, and the AM3 processors would work in the AM3+ slots
So the theory was....
Get something to satisfy till then
then purchase a nice new workstation motherboard.
And eventually upgrade the processor too.
[Actually this came from a suggestion from one of the very helpful people here!!!]

My PSU bothered me, always had so many wires everywhere
so I bought a silent modular 700w PSU

Annoyingly it was most definitely designed for a case that has the PSU at the TOP
The wires are bent all over themselves now...

I upgraded windows 7 64bit
I also bought a new HD for my windows install
And I formatted both my old HD's

|-----END Back Story-----|

|-----Present Story------|

My new system now this:

Processor: AMD PHENOM II QUAD CORE 955
RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAW 4GB (1X4GB) DDR3
MOBO: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 MOTHERBOARD
HD Internal: 1 x WD Velociraptor 300gb [windows and core programs], 2 x WD Caviar Blue 500mb
HD External: 1 x WD book 1tb
PSU: OCZ MODXSTREAM PRO 700W SILENT S
Sound Card: M-audio Delta 10/10lt
GPU: ATi Radeon HD 5770
Case: Antec 900

Annoyingly the indexing was almost constantly using about 25% of my processor - so I turned it off

The Windows media player networking processes, were also using 25% processor power.. so i turned them of, i saw no need to share fires that way when i can use shared folders on the network... The only benefit i can see from using it is the ability to connect it to a PS3...

And Windows Media Player itself... sometimes when i close it, it doesn't close the process, and keeps using.. yup you guessed it, 25% of my processor.

Also sometimes it wont even load the file, just freeze and crash!!!

I generally use media player classic for movies, and have yet to download winamp for my eargasmic pleasure... It is just frustrating that these simple widnows processes are beasting my system.

Added to another problem.

One of my hard drives (the previous primary HD, and second youngest) keeps DISAPPEARING
I have separated my 2 other internal HDs, one for Audio one for Gaming and software.
The gaming and software HD is the one that keeps disappearing.
Sometimes it happens mid game
sometimes i can be using the PC and decide to play a game and it will be gone
and sometimes its fine for about a week with no issues what so ever, and then BAM its gone

The only way to get the HD back is to open up the case, unplug it, and plug it back in.

This screams out lose wires or connections or dodgy ports to me

I have changed the leads, power cables, sata ports, everything
I even got a sata cable that CLIPS IN

Nothing seems to help.
I am going to open it up and completely re-wire everything again today
give it its own direct link to the PSU etc.

Can anyone help me fix any of these issues?

Thank you in advance!!!

Edit: Interestingly... I have just replaced the HD's cables and given its own power supply, and now its not coming on at all... hmmm.. and after a couple of restarts it did...
I forgot to mention all the issues I am having with my M-audio Delta control panel too...
am i the only person with so many windows 7 issues?

Edited by Davidian, 19 December 2010 - 07:24 AM.

facebook.pngtwitter.pngsoundcloud.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Well...maybe they aren't...Windows 7 issues, but system issues.

My approach to computer problems...it may be hardware, it may be the O/S...it may be malware...it may be a given program.

I don't think there's usually a clearcut answer, I try to eliminate the suspects one at a time.

Louis

#3 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:56 AM

25% eh? Sounds like a runaway thread eats up a whole core :).

I would suspect hardware first - especially that HD that keeps disappearing on you.

Of course, you might also want to test the memory (memtest86 from just about any livecd under the sun). That PSU should provide well more than adequate power to that system, but a faulty PSU could cause oddities as well.

However, it really does sound like a failing HDD. Run the system with that drive unplugged - do you encounter the same oddities? If not, probably time to back it up, then run the WD diagnostics on it, and if need be (and possible) send it back for warranty.

#4 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

I do get the same issues without the HD in yes
I will definitely do a memtest and a burn in test on everything

Cheers :)

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

You may also want to go to http://www.wdc.com and download the data life guard tools for your hard drives ans scan them all as well.

#6 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

Downloading that now cheers dan.

An odd thing is occurring.

I changed the power cable on the HD again and gave its its own personal direct to the psu with nothing else on it.

for about a week the drive ran perfectly... and now... it runs like a plug n play drive.

Sometimes if it is not there I go to the Device manager... scan for new hardware... and then get a popup as if my Internal SATA HD is an external USB drive

I'm very tempted to do another fresh install of windows 7 too...

I had no problems with XP, well nothing big.
But indexing, wmp, and the other processes i mentioned beasting one of my cores each is just not what I expected from windows 7

A format and reisntalation of everything will be a bit of a bore but it might solve some issues...

then again it might solve nothing and i would have just wasted a couple of days lol.

#7 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

I thought i had responded further to this...
On the odd occurrence when the drive is there and i have been able to run the WD thing - all drives running perfectly.

The drive has become more erratic again - it rarely comes on... if the pc sleeps, or sometimes even just after screen saver, it is gone.

It often wont come on till after shut down, sometimes i need to remove the power, and even just stick my hand in and make sure all the cables are in properly (which they are) and then it comes on.

Between the hard drive errors and indexing issues i think my only option is a fresh install of windows

unless you can suggest any other options?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:21 AM

Remove the disappearing drive, and let indexing go on. If that solves the issue then you need a new drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users