Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Speaker not Working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:02 AM

Hi All

A couple of days ago the internal speaker on my pc stopped working for some reason. As I say in the title of this thread, I can still get sound through my headset but I would really like to restore the workings of the internal speaker.

So far I've downloaded the free DriveMax prog and checked all my drivers. There are a few out of date and one of them is for the SoundMax system that, I guess, controls the sounds - unless this is done by something else? Anyway, I downloaded and installed the newer version but then I got several message boxes come up on the reboot saying there was some sort of corruption - sorry, I can't remember what it said exactly and I can't reproduce it as I've taken the computer back using the system restore.

Can anyone help me with this please. I'm not that smart with computers as it is and even less so when it comes to drives so I'd appreciate it if someone can check the drives and possibly suggest any other checks that can be done to isolate the problem.

FYI - the pc is an hp Compaq running XPpro.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:45 AM

By way of an up date, I managed to download another copy of the driver that I said in my opening post had caused problems but this time there wasn't any sign of similar problems. However, neither was there any sign that its installation had cured my problem.

Sure would appreciate some suggestions.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#3 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

By 'Internal Speaker' do you mean the speaker that beeps on startup and when errors occur without sound drivers installed, or do you have an internal speaker mounted in the box you can use to listen to music etc. on?

#4 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:10 AM

Hi DeexEnigma

I had never actually considered that there were separate speakers for computer bleeps and music. But now you've asked (and now I've tested) it would appear that neither work. I don't normally have Window's sounds working so I didn't realise that they weren't there. I've now put them back onto the Window's default but I haven't heard anything.

However, it is priciply the music speakers that I noticed had stopped and I really would like to get them working again.

Is there anyway of testing to see if I'm being dumb and have got something checked that should be unchecked or vice versa.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#5 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

Just so I know, you don't hear any beeps when the computer turns on at all, before it loads windows?

If your 'speaker' itself has stopped, yet you still hear audio from your headphones, id be looking at your speaker, how its configured, even if its still operational.
Given that its an internal speaker for music, id say it'd be over 5 years old, it may have simply kicked the bucket.
Check your BIOS to see if its even telling that speaker to be active, if it is hooked up on the motherboard, check to see that its still connected, check in Windows to see if that speakers selected to be used, and something hasn't changed settings wise.

#6 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

Hi DeexEnigma

Apologies for the delayed reply to your last post but I've been laid low with the 'flu over Christmas and am only just now resurfacing into the world.

Just so I know, you don't hear any beeps when the computer turns on at all, before it loads windows?

This is correct. The PC doesn't make any sounds at all either on start up or when playing music and the like.

If your 'speaker' itself has stopped, yet you still hear audio from your headphones, id be looking at your speaker, how its configured, even if its still operational.

This is the sort of thing I need help with.

Given that its an internal speaker for music, id say it'd be over 5 years old, it may have simply kicked the bucket.

Yes, the PC is quite old but it has been upgraded to Xp.

Check your BIOS to see if its even telling that speaker to be active, if it is hooked up on the motherboard, check to see that its still connected, check in Windows to see if that speakers selected to be used, and something hasn't changed settings wise.

These are the sort or things that I'm lacking in knowledge about. Could you possibly talk me through the system checks and if all is well with them, I can dig around inside the PC - not that that is an attractive prospect!

Once again, many thanks for your help with this. It would be nice to get it sorted if possible.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#7 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

First of all I'd imagine since you aren't getting anything either on POST (Power On Self Test, a set of tests the computer does when its initially powered up, and gives 1 beep for an all OK or a series in a code depending on BIOS) or in Windows itself I'd say they have one of the 2 way speakers where one speaker does both jobs.

In all honesty the easiest way to figure out exactly whats going on is take the side off your case, and find the speaker (usually at the front in this case) and where its hooked into. It sounds like its an old motherboard with the AC97 (audio codec and hookup standard) input as well as the on-board PC speaker hookup, or possibly just only the AC97 one, as it might have never beeped on startup, I wouldn't know for sure. Essentially what your looking for is a speaker with a lead heading to and connecting to multiple sports on the motherboard.

The quickest way to solve the problem is get a cheap set of USB powered speakers and hook those up to your headphone port, and run those, as you know that's a working method. They are exceptionally cheap these days and could fit inside the case if that's what you specifically need.

If you hit DEL on startup eventually your PC will enter 'setup' mode, this is the BIOS setup, without seeing your bios specifically all I can suggest is look in the onboard configuration or chipset configuration, it can vary weather or not this is on the first screen, or you need to select onboard configuration or chipset configuration or not. Then search for options like on-board AC97 speaker, or something of the like. Make sure its enabled. Just search around and see what you can find, don't worry if you accidentally change anything because to exit his ESC and chose the exit and discard changes option and this will leave all the settings the same as when you first entered BIOS.

That'd be where I'd start looking, but as I said, you can easy just use the headphone port to solve your issue, and if the speakers 'HAVE' to be in the case, a cheap pair of USB powered speakers will fit inside.

#8 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

Hi DeexEnigma - thanks for your reply.

Of all the options you've outlined above the most attractive is the the speakers option. Going into the box or messing about with the setting of the computer never were all that attractive to me. If I had the inclination to embarrass myself I would tell you the story about the time I tried to fix a friend's VW ignition. It ended up costing me 70 quid and could have been solved with a matchstick!!

The only thing that I question about this idea is this. The headset I use is the '2 jack' sort, not one with a USB connection. Having briefly looked on ebay all the speaker sets seem to be of the USB variety. Do you think it would be possible that the USB speakers could be plugged into a USB port and then, should I want to switch to the headset, me plugging in the jacks would override the speakers in the same way as they used to the internal speaker? Or would it be that once the computer is p&p'd to the speakers the headset won't work or would I just have to take out the speaker USB connection and plug in the headset?

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#9 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

On looking at eBay did it specifically say the speakers were USB only and software had to be installed for them?
You can get speakers that are purely USB powered and hook into the audio jack still, for example logitech S150 or Gigabyte GP-S4600. Usually USB powered speakers are advertised as 'USB' Speakers and kind of throws out the impression that they're USB only.
The reason I mention these two specifically is because I actually sell them in a shop I manage and know for a fact they will do what you need of them, both with headphone outputs in the front.

If you use a headset with both mic and headphone just get an extension cable to put on either the mic or headphone end and run either or into each port respectively.

Just out of interest, the VW problem, was it within the steering column shaft or engine side? What was the go there?

#10 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:39 AM

Hi DeexEnigma

Ok, well I've decided to go for the speaker option and so will keep you informed of the outcome when I buy some.

As for the VW problem, the only thing I can say initially is that you give me far too much credit in the mechanical department. As a (then) 20 year old back in the early eighties, I didn't know which way to turn a nut and bolt to undo it! So the very thought of me taking on 'steering column shaft or engine side' problems would have been way beyond me.

No, the required repair was much more simple than that in my view - both before and after completion. The problem, quite simply, was a broken key in the ignition of a friend's Beetle.

Having taken a quick look at the basic layout of of the steering column, I proceeded to remove the steering wheel with a view to getting down to the ignition area. It was while trying to remove the indicator unit that the damage occured. Seventy quid was a lot of money in those days and so having to buy another one didn't best please me!

So I jumped into my Beetle and tootled over to the local VW garage and made my purchase. While over there I 'offhandedly' asked the guy serving me 'What is the best way to get a broken key out of the ignition of a VW?' in such a way as to hopefully not raise his suspicions that this was my intended task and the reason for the need of a new indicator unit.

Judging from the poorly disguised smile on his face, he immediately sussed out the truth behind the question and with a flourish produced a box of maches from his pocket. Extracting one of the matches, he bent down and shoved it into the 'matchstick' sized hole in the steering column just underneath the ignition. With this the barrel sprung out ready and willing for all and sundry to shake out the offending part key from it's midst!

And that is why I much prefer the speaker option!! :wink:

Many thanks for you help and I will let you know how I get on.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#11 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

LMAO, good luck with the speakers mate, keep me updated.

It's always the way eh, I've learnt the same way with both cars and computers, making massive messes of simple situations.
I kept going however, on the computers mainly, now I'm a tech :) practice makes perfect.

#12 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:43 AM

Hi DeexEnigma

Well I finally got my lazy arse into gear while out shopping yesterday and bought myself a pair of hp Multimedia speakers. I think they were about 11 quid so it wasn't so bad.

Got home, plugged them in and, hey presto, sounds! Not perfect admittedly, but good enough for a tone deaf old git like me to hear when Im's or emails arrive and to listen to the odd bit of music here and there.

So problem solved. Many thanks for your help with this, I've really appreciated your advice and input.

BTW - I'd noticed earlier that you're from Queensland and have finally (in my incredibly slow manner) put two and two together and linked the place with the news. So I hope you and yours are doing Ok and staying safe and that you come out of the other side in good shape.

Best of luck and thanks again.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users