Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

confliciting antispyware / antivirus causing slowdown?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 econguy

econguy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

Very recently, I had help from Bleeping Computer removing malware. My computer ran much faster for short amount of time, but now is randomly very slow booting, opening any windows or performing any task. Sometimes the screen will freeze constantly for several minutes at a time. The other half the time the computer runs fine. I thought it might be the hard drive, but ran a diagnostic and it checks out ok.

I am running Malwarebytes realtime scan and Norton Internet Security simultaneously. I just disabled Malwarebytes to start with Window, and the computer seems to be running ok now. If this is it, am I leaving myself open to get reinfected? I also have Winpatrol (free edition) running.

I also used Autoruns to stop a number of programs from starting with Windows (and using the startup database to determine if critical). But maybe I shut down something I shouldn't have?

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP 3 on an HP Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+, 1.78 GHz.

How do I begin to diagnose this?

Thank you,

Econguy

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:52 AM

I am running Malwarebytes realtime scan and Norton Internet Security simultaneously. I just disabled Malwarebytes to start with Window, and the computer seems to be running ok now. If this is it, am I leaving myself open to get reinfected? I also have Winpatrol (free edition) running.

Hi -
Have you added any Malwarebytes exclusions to your Norton program - This will alter the way the 2 programs operate together -
If you have not added any exclusions , please visit the Malwarebytes Forum for more advice -

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

FWIW: My experience (now dated) with NIS is that it bogs the system down. I would try uninstzlling it...using the XP firewall...and installing/using any of the quality free AV products available (e.g., Avast or Avira Free) and see if there is any imoprovement.

Louis

#4 damnyank

damnyank

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

FWIW: My experience (now dated) with NIS is that it bogs the system down. I would try uninstzlling it...using the XP firewall...and installing/using any of the quality free AV products available (e.g., Avast or Avira Free) and see if there is any imoprovement.

Louis

NIS no longer bogs down your system - improvements started in 2009 and have improved thru the current NIS 2011.

The slowness is probably caused by a conflict between MalwareBytes and Norton both running in real-time. Norton recommends no other programs run in real time alongside Norton as conflicts may occur. My guess is what you are actually seeing is MalwareBytes and Norton running scans at the same time and competeing for CPU useage, thus causing a slow-down in your system operation.

Everyone has opinions about Security products and you must do thorough research as to what suits your needs the best and also what plays nicely on your system. This answer is not the same for all usuers - sort of like the old IE vs FF debates.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

NIS no longer bogs down your system - improvements started in 2009 and have improved thru the current NIS 2011.

Only IMHO, but I disagree...

Norton recommends no other programs run in real time alongside Norton as conflicts may occur

Too bad for Norton, because antimalware program shouldn't be causing issues with AV program.
Normally, we need both of them.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 damnyank

damnyank

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Only IMHO, but I disagree...

Norton recommends no other programs run in real time alongside Norton as conflicts may occur

Too bad for Norton, because antimalware program shouldn't be causing issues with AV program.
Normally, we need both of them.

TYVM for your opinion!

#7 econguy

econguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

Have you added any Malwarebytes exclusions to your Norton program - This will alter the way the 2 programs operate together -
If you have not added any exclusions , please visit the Malwarebytes Forum for more advice

That's what I'm working on now. Please go to 'How do I set Malwarebytes exclusions for Norton' where I started a new topic asking for how to get to the Malwarebytes forum prior (I thought it was a BC forum).

When I realized that AVs probably all have their own forums, I also went to the Norton forum thinking they should be able to help. They essentially said what's already been said:

In all fairness, the last Norton post was March, 2010 and referred to Malwarebytes 1.45. In any event, please go to the new topic here. This seems to be a common issue and I hope to find a resolution and post it to the new topic.

Thank you to everyone for your input. I bleeping love this community!! Everyone is so helpful and quick to respond!!

Admin, there probably doesn't need to be two open discussions on the same topic, but I don't know how to close this one. My apologies for breaking protocol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users