Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having A Problem With My Ie6

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rey910

rey910

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:33 PM

When I try to repair it from the add/remove section it says it can not do it and that I need to reinstall ie6. When I do try to reinstall ie6; in the configuring part I keep getting this:

An error has occurred while setting up "C:\windows\system\shodocvw.dll". This error has been logged. The installation will continue.

This happens everytime I run the ie6setup file. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to have a clean installation of ie6?
Thank you for any type of help with this.

Win98---DeskTop---IBM/Aptiva
I have updated everything from microsoft as of this point in time.
If you need additional info please ask.

Edited by rey910, 05 December 2005 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:34 PM

I did a quick google and didn't find anything useful for this, I also tried to enter "shodocvw.dll" at the M$ site, and they don't even recognize it.

This isn't a solution for the IE problem, but you could download and use Firefox. There are some good arguments for using a stand alone browser, and security is just the tip of the ice berg. I switched to Firefox, and have no desire to ever go back to IE, although, there are some sites (M$) where you will have to use the IE.

http://www.mozilla.com/

Some where in the back of my mind I seem to remember that there is a plugin that will allow you to download from M$ with Firefox. I'll try googling it and get back, or someone here may have the answer first.

I was correct...http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/174400225

Edited by dc3, 06 December 2005 - 11:41 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rey910

rey910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for the reply dc3. Yes, I even went to M$ and got same results. Have jotted down the firefox/mozilla info plus the techweb addy. I guess once you have earned billions $$$ from a product, there is no sense in keeping it clean anymore. lol

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

Is your spelling of that .dll correct?
I can't find anything on shodocvw.dll, but for shdocvw.dll, I found this:
shdocvw.dll
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 cluelessgene

cluelessgene

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:32 PM

The spelling is correct. I have had this very same problem for several months. My IE6 is working OK, but when downloading it from Microsoft it says I have a problem and will not continue, when I try to repair from add\remove screen I get exactly the same error message as rev910. Have decided there is something in my old 98 that doesen't want to support IE6 or it may be my repair wizzard because it works OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users