Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Drive not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IHaveVirus

IHaveVirus

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hello, last month, my CD drive was working well, but all of the sudden it stopped identifying my CD's. All I could remember was that the first time I notice was after a session with you guys for cleaning viruses. However, I didn't really use my CD Drive that often before that. When I put a CD in now, it looks like it starts to read the CD, but after 1 second, everything stops and it looks like nothing happened at all. I don't want to do anything with opening my computer, so I would like to try other things first that can be done by using the computer. Once nothing works, I'll just give it to my uncle to fix it. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

Did you use our Preparation Guide when you created the DDS log you posted? If so did you run Defogger?

we request that all CD Emulation programs be disabled before requesting malware removal help. To make it easier for our users who may want to continue using these tools, we will use a tool called DeFogger to disable these drivers so that they do not interfere with our help

Then you need to REENABLE the drivers:

• To re-enable your Emulation drivers, double click DeFogger to run the tool.[list]
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Re-enable button to re-enable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_enable which will appear on your desktop.

Your Emulation drivers are now re-enabled.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 IHaveVirus

IHaveVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

Hi, When I did it, it said unable to find file. I disable the CD emulation again, and when I press renable, it worked, but the cd drive still can't identify the CD.

Edit: I noticed that after I renable the CD drivers after the other session, I didn't need to reboot the computer.

Edited by IHaveVirus, 21 December 2010 - 12:11 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

Is this one particular CD or any CD. As it is possible the CD is bad or the player is. Then this becomes an Internal Hardware forum question to search out the reason.

By the way,is this XP or another?

Edited by boopme, 21 December 2010 - 12:30 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 IHaveVirus

IHaveVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:52 AM

oh sorry forgot to mention yup it is XP and all different kind of CD's that go inside is not identified.

#6 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:30 AM

Have a look see here:

The automated fixit at the top may well fix your problems, but if not, read through the whole thing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:16 AM

Here is the information you will need to fix your problem, I went through this same dilemma and it worked like a charm for me.

Be advised that this website advises backing up your registry before performing this procedure, or any that involve editing the registy.

Windows XP:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

(Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry.)

On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

(Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further.)

On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 21 December 2010 - 07:18 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

A suggestion has been made that involves modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous (and can render your system unbootable) so it's advisable that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

#9 IHaveVirus

IHaveVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for your replies guys, I have a question before I start this, how do you use your backup registry if changing your registry goes wrong like the computer is unbootable? I worry that if that happens, you can't access the backup registry and everything will be messed up.

Edit: Oh wow, that's so weird. My CD drive started working again. I think the computer fixed it on it's own. I hope this is permanent. Thanks everyone!

Edit again: Never mind, all of the sudden, it stopped working again.

Edited by IHaveVirus, 21 December 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

For future reference in ERUNT,go here
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Scroll to and click
Detailed information

You may want to print from here down.
Restoring the registry with ERDNT

You may want to run SFC

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.

#11 IHaveVirus

IHaveVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

Ok, I deleted both and restart my computer, but the CD drive still doesn't identify the CD. However, it's weird how sometimes it work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users