Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop restarts every 20 seconds and no picture

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 salguy

salguy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

hello hp pavilion dv6000 notebook. my uncle just bought it from somebody and never saw the screen lite.all he got was a power cord i know it is xp .i took batt out for 24 hrs. then held start button down for 60seconds. caps and numbers lock never blink or light. the other leds on keyboard light and flash every 20 seconds and i here it trying to start.i put a xp cd from other machine in there and it spins but i can't see if any thing is happening. thank you for any ideas you might have. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

Are you saying...that you are not sure this laptop works properly?

Whatever happened to "taking a test drive" before laying out cash for used goods? Did anyone inquire why the previous owner...was willing to free himself/herself of this system?

Did the purchaser get the license and recovery disks for this system? These things cannot be used on another system...should have been part of the deal.

Louis

#3 salguy

salguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

ha ha yes to everything my uncle is seventys and took it for about $50 . seller is gone for xmas any hope to help the old guy out.. ha thanks for reply

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

Well...the first thing I would do...is connect a monitor to the laptop...as I attempt to get a visual idea of what is happening. I would not assume that the laptop screen functions properly.

I'll move this from XP to Internal Hardware, where others may have better ideas of what might be done :).

Louis

#5 salguy

salguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

thanks for reply i hooked up to other monitor and it did not work. monitor went sleep it said. i put a oem xp disk from my machine .it was spinning but could not see what was happening, thanks again for reply

#6 salguy

salguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

hello you can take my post down. it is fixed and working great. thank you for your replys.
i took batt out over night then held start button down for 60 seconds. put batt back in charged it. turned on then off. batt out hold down start button again. batt back in plug in to outlet and turn computer on. after about 3hrs it came to life. thanks again bye

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Amazing...thanks for posting, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users