Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Modem Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MikRose

MikRose

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

I have a Compaq Presario SR5310 desktop I'm trying to help an elderly friend with. His cable modem worked for several years but now MIGHT connect to internet, but when linking to IE7 or 8 or Firefox, won't connect.

He has:

Windows Vista,
Internet connection with Cox Cable high speed modem,
All network devices are working normally,
Cox technician tested the modem in his house and it works 100%,
Cox technician says the problem must be in the computer,
The computer was restored to original factory settings with on-board Recovery program,
Problem still exists.
When I bring the computer to my house and connect to internet with DSL modem, no problems.

What could be allowing DSL modem to work but not cable modem with all else being equal?

Regards and Thanks, Mic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Well...those are two entirely different types of connections.

Does your friend have both cable and DSL?

Louis

#3 MikRose

MikRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

OK, let me re-phrase...he has cable modem and cannot connect with desktop (but he can with a laptop using that modem). When I bring his desktop computer to my house and hook up with my DSL modem, I can access the internet just fine.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Has to be the settings or a drivers issue...one connection, two computers...one can, one cannot.

In fact, it cannot be a drivers issue, since it works when you use DSL.

Louis

#5 MIDGA

MIDGA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

one question I have, Does the problem include a router in the equation or is it directly to the modem?
How will you learn if you don't ask questions?

#6 MikRose

MikRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

Thank you both.

The Cox technician checked settings, as I have I, and no conflicts. I agree that it might be in the Settings, by which you mean TCP/etc (any that apply). When I open Network while in my house on dsl, I see the Actiontech Modem, but don't remember checking that setting at his house on cable modem, maybe I assumed the Cox tech did!

All Drivers have been updated with mfg of the network card and other devices, plus motherboard and Windows Update, but you know how that goes. It is actually 1 computer and 2 connections, not 1 connection and 2 computers. The computer doesn't change, the type of connection does....in two different households.

There is no router, it is direct from the computer to the cable modem in his house, and direct to the dsl router in my house when I move it from his house to mine. Thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

<<...cannot connect with desktop (but he can with a laptop using that modem).>>

Two computers...one connection (cable wire) :). Just clarifying.

Louis

#8 hoboque

hoboque

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

You're right...at his house, 2 computers one connection. Since his trouble is with the 1 computer, I was referring to 1 computer and two connections (1 at his house and 1 at mine). My wife says I think oddly, but I just show her the wedding picture!

Update....Problems is resolved, here are steps:

I took my computer to his house and hooked up to Cable modem, it wouldn't work just like his wouldn't.
I tried to connect with USB connector from modem instead of ethernet, did not work (shot in the dark),
I had uninstalled and reinstalled the modem and drivers from his machine locally, and from a cd I burned for it on my machine at home, did not work.
Today after almost giving up, AFTER TELLING HIM 6 TIMES OVER THE PAST WEEK that if he had the CD that came with modem it might give us another option,
AND asking him if he had one several times,
He stands up and reaches behind his desk and pulls out a stack of CD's, one of which was the Cox Cable Modem drivers and Installation Wizard!!!
SO...after installing the modem with the wizard again 2 or 3 times, it still would not work.
There was a "local" connection but no "intranet" connection.
As a last resort, I clicked on "CONTACT US" on the CD installation screen and naturally it said "Can't access the Internet" (as if we didn't know),
BUT, it gave me the option to either "CONNECT" or one other option. I chose CONNECT,
There was a click inside the computer (I had the side off and sitting on the desk in front of me), and the Network icon on the task bar refreshed,
There was now a local and intranet connection, we got online and everything is back to normal.
I know something tripped something, but I also blew up two cells on a submarine battery so it's obviously over my head!

Can't wait to tell Cox tech (if he gets back to me.) Thanks all....

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

Glad you were able to resolve it, thanks for posting...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users