Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setpow.nec

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bob195550

bob195550

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:51 PM

I accidentally deleted the setpow.nec file from my sons computer, after Norton Anti Virus said is was a high risk malicious file. I now find that this is not the case. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could locate another copy of setpow.nec file. Your help would be gladly received
Thanks
Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:59 AM

First of all, welcome to BC.

As I googled this, I found that you have been out there asking question, so you probably have pretty much the same information as I do. It appears the the setpow.nec is a part of the registry, specifically Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00. Alas, the registry still remains one of the last great unexplored frontiers for me, perhaps another member will read this and be able to further assist you.

It would make it easier to help you if you would provide us with the make, model, and the operating system of your sons pc.

As you saw when you googled this subject, there are quite a few others out there who have been having similar problems, and there have been a large number of people suggesting the use of AVG. I have been using it for about six months now, and like it just fine, I had similar problems to yours with Panda...that and a total lack of customer support. If you remember when you were in grade school, your report card had a section on it grading you on how you interacted with others, both of these AVs would merit "doesn't play well with others".

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bob195550

bob195550
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:08 AM

Hi dc3
Thank you for your reply. I have now been able to aquire a copy of setpow.nec file. I have been able to re-install it back onto my sons computer, and everything is ok now, if you require a copy, I will gladly send you one, there is also a setpow.fix patch to stop Norton picking it up as a malicious file.
Thanks again
Bob

Edited by bob195550, 06 December 2005 - 06:10 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

Glad to hear you got it fixed, it looked as if you were on the right track anyway.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users