Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 PC Psycho

PC Psycho

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hi. I am having the exact same situation with a little twist here. I pulled the sick drive out of the dell tower and hooked it up to a good computer as a second drive in order to back up personal files before I started messing with it. It was recognized and about 5 seconds later it crashed my good computer. Now the good computer is in the same loop. I am communicating with my laptop now. I do have an XP disk and a SP3 disk. What are the next steps in fixing the bad drives? Any help is appreciated. Also, do we know what animal is causing this? Thanks.

I just want to mention one more thing. When I loaded the usb drive as instructed earlier, the driver.sh file does not appear when I boot the PC from that drive. Any recommendations? Thanks again

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2010 - 01:24 PM.
Split from different topic in XP ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

The instructions that you thought were intended for you were for the original poster of the topic that you posted in.

Would you please explain from the beginning what happened as this topic doesn't reflect what you recognized as "the same situation" in the other topic.

It would also help to know what the make and model of this computer is.

Is this hdd a ATA, PATA, or a SATA?

Edited by dc3, 18 December 2010 - 11:19 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PC Psycho

PC Psycho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:24 AM

Hello dc3. I'm a newbie at bleeping computer. As I Previously stated, I now have two pcs with identical problems. I will start with the first pc, a single drive Dell XPS 400, owned by my nephew. It is about 5 yrs old. 160 gig SATA drive, 1 gig RAM. Totally stock. When booted, it seems to boot fine, but when the logon screen starts to appear, a blue screen pops up and the unit then restarts. This happens continually until I shut off power. The blue screen that appeared had the same message that annalindsay had on hers. Before I started to mess with the drive, I decided to connect it to my pc as a second drive in order to make a backup of the My Documents folder and right after my pc recognized the new drive, it bluescreened and restarted on its own. Now my pc is having the exact same boot loop and blue screen message. So I put the Dell drive back into the Dell tower and did a reinstall of windows through setup, not the repair console. I made copies of explorer.exe and winlogon.exe from the laptop I am now writing on and replaced those two files on the dell with these copies. The loop stopped and I can now logon, but when windows starts, the unit displays the desktop background image but no icons or tray. Ctrl-alt-delete has no effect. I expect explorer is not starting. So that is where I am at right now. Your help is appreciated.

#4 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

Good morning PC Psycho,

The blue screen that appeared had the same message that annalindsay had on hers.

What exactly is this screen saying? This thread is not linked to the original topic that you were commenting on, so we do not know what the message said. If you need to, you can pause the boot sequence by hitting the "pause/break" button on your keyboard to allow you to read and write down the information on the blue screen.

Are you able to boot in safe mode? When you start up the computer, tap f8 repeatedly until a black screen pops up with options to boot in safe mode. If you are able to boot in safe mode, are you then able to open up the task manager and run .exe files?

Do you know what you were doing when this issue originally happened? If you could provide us with more information, it would be useful in determining whether it is a corrupt windows file, or the possibility of a malware infection.
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:52 AM

It's a little late now, but you can stop the automatic restarts by going to Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

or

Press and hold F8 when the computer is beginning to start up to access the Advanced Boot Options and click on Disable auto restart on error.

Once you stop the restart the error message will appear and stay so that you can read it, copy it, and post it for others to read.

On the desktop, does the Recycle bin show? Does the Start button show?

If you right click on the task bar does the menu including Task Manager open? If it does, click on Task Manager> File> New Task (Run)> type in Explorer.exe. The start button and icons should reappear.

Edited by dc3, 20 December 2010 - 08:12 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 PC Psycho

PC Psycho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

On the Dell unit that I am referring to, I no longer get the blue screen. I am now able to logon but I am only getting the desktop background, no icons or bottom tray, just the background image. I hit ctrl-alt-del but with no results. Task Manager does not pop up. My nephew does not remember what he was doing at the time, except he knows he was on the internet with numerous sites open at once. The second pc I referred to is still in the boot loop but I prefer to concentrate on one pc at a time. So I am focusing on the Dell.

#7 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:13 AM

Ok, for now we will ignore the other computer and focus on the Dell. Seems like explorer.exe is not booting up with windows. Are you able to boot this computer in safe mode as we have asked? If you boot it in safe mode, are you able to open task manager?
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:14 AM

Let's work on one computer at a time to reduce any confusion.

What happens if you right click in the task bar?

#9 PC Psycho

PC Psycho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:24 AM

I was able to boot in safe mode and signed on a s administrator. I now have a desktop with icons and taskbar. Task Manager now works. So what next?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:33 AM

Restart it and see if it remains.

#11 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

Run a scan with your antivirus software to see if it uncovers any problems. Before trying to correct any windows issues, we need to first rule out that it is not a virus on your computer preventing windows.exe from running on startup.

If you do not have an antivirus software installed, I would recommend installing Avast! Free from the following link:
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

I'm going to suggest that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected form.

Please start a second topic to address your second computer problem.

#13 PC Psycho

PC Psycho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

ok. Thank you for your help. I will address the second computer tonight after work.

#14 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

Topic Moved from XP to AII as requested.

Hello.

Let's see what we're dealing with here. If you can't do the following in Normal Mode, please use Safe Mode. However, Normal Mode is preferable.

Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Before we begin, you should disable any anti-malware software you have installed so it does not interfere with RKill running. This is because some anti-malware software mistakenly detects RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how to disable your security software.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

IMPORTANT!!! - when you save the file, rename it to something random, such as bubbles.exe This must be done before beginning the download!

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
Malwarebytes Log

Edited by Blade Zephon, 20 December 2010 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#15 PC Psycho

PC Psycho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

I tried to boot the computer in both normal and safe modes but a window pops up and tells me that I have to activate this copy of windows. I did a reinstall of windows as my first attempt to fix my problem. But windows will not allow me to activate in safe mode. And when I boot up in normal mode, I attempt to logon but I get a message that this copy of windows must be activated before I can logon. I'm in a catch 22 here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users