Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post System Recovery booting troubles

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 els707

els707

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hello, apologies if this has been answered before but every time I try searching the forum I get a "Forbidden" message when I go to click on topics for some reason :huh:

Anyway, a desktop of mine recently got infected with some pretty nasty stuff (Backdoors, rootkits etc) and based on my recent experience with these sorts of malware I decided a reformat and reinstall was the best policy. Using the system recovery disc that came with the PC I let it run and it reformatted and reinstalled windows.

Unfortunately, rather than the PC just starting like its original factory settings, this is where the problems began. First post recovery start up I was greeted with the message "NTLDR missing, press CTR ALT DEL To restart" I eventually managed to fix this by getting a recovery console bootable from a USB drive and copying over a new NTLDR and NTdetect. Next error to come up was the "Boot.ini invalid" and "hal.dll corrupted errors". I fixed these by running bootcfg, Fixboot and FixMBR in the recovery console.

My latest error, and the one that has truly stuck me is "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

Also worth noting, I can't seem to boot from CDs at the moment, only USB flash drives. If I could boot from CDs I'd just run system recovery again and hope that solved it however as it stands, I'm quite stuck unless I can find a way to transfer the recovery CD onto a bootable USB. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

I think, reinstalling again may be a waste of time.
You may have some hardware issues.

I suggest, you create USB Ultimate Boot CD: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-and-boot-ultimate-boot-cd-ubcd-from-a-usb-device/ and run hard drive diagnostic.
UBCD overview: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 els707

els707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hi again, thanks for the help,

Got UBCD running and ran a full hard drive scan, as well as the RAM scan and neither turned up any errors, so far it's not looking like a hardware problem. One of the CD drives already did not work but its not the one I'm trying to boot from.

Thanks

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

So do you actually have one CD drive working?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 els707

els707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:08 AM

Yes, it's the one that I ran the recovery CD from originally but for some reason bootable CDs are no longer working in it, maybe the recovery missed a few drivers or something

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

While booting from a CD, you shouldn't need any extra drivers.
What does exactly happen, when you try to boot from recovery CD?
See, if the very same CD will boot on another working computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 els707

els707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Before I ran the recovery, if the CD was in the drive the system would try to boot from the CD and say "Press R to begin recovery" or something along those lines, now it just tries to boot from CD, nothing happens and it moves to the next in the sequence (HDD or USB at the moment.) I've checked the disk in another computer and the computer tries to boot from it as normal.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hmmm....interesting.
I'm not really sure, what to advice at this point...
You can try to slave the drive in another computer, format it there, put it back to its original computer and see, if recovery CD will work then.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 els707

els707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:25 AM

From what I can see there are options in recovery console and possibly UBCD for formatting the drive, is that advised or could I wreck things well and truly then?

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

I assume, that at this point formatting and trying again is your only option.
I'd probably opt for Darik's Boot and Nuke to do it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users