Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to share Windows 7 Program Files Folder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zimmer46

zimmer46

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

Is it possible to set up the Windows 7 Program Files folder as a share on another networked PC ( also running Windows 7 ) ?
I understand this was also a problem with Vista, but I was an XP man myself and it was never an issue on XP.

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

Well, since you are not the "owner" of the files and folders in Program Files, I don't think you are allowed to share them. Although I've never tried.

Try it and see what you get.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

I am logged on to both PC's with full admin rights and tried everything I can think of, but without success. Its to allow a third party program on the second PC the ability to read and write to a specific game directory in the main PC's program files folder. I did ask this question a while back and was told to install the game on the second PC, but that defeats the purpose of having the support apps running on the second PC over the network to share the load.

As I said, this worked fine in XP but I believe from Vista onwards Microsoft have "locked" the Program files folder from shares. Bit of a bummer when the game is actually a MS game. As a last resort I could reinstall the game in ints own directory outside the Program Files folder, but its a mega job and if there is another option even via hacking the registry I'd rather give it a try.

Andrew

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

Did you go into properties of you program file folder and setup Advanced Sharing there you can set permissions and users,I haven't tried this but it looks like you can set it up to work the way you want :unsure:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

You cannot "share" programs because they are not data files or hardware items which the configuration allows to be shared. Just as you cannot run a program on one Windows install...from a different Windows install.

You can share certain types of filoes...certain hardware items that relate to a system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users