Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is Media Center?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

I recently bought a used laptop (Gateway MT6707-2 gigs-Intel T2060-Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit).The OS is activated and authenticated so it does not seem to be pirated. There is no Media Center anywhere to be found. I've searched the net and MS knowledge base and the only thing I've found is that versions for Europe and Asia don't have Media Center installed, it's an add on. I've downloaded the file to add Media Center to those versions but when I go to install it, it says it's not compatible with my version of Windows 7.I've searched everywhere on the HD, looked in services to make sure that everything is checked in there. There is no mention of it even existing. If I try to run Windows Experience Rating I get an error message that says "Cannot complete the requested assessment. This system does not have the necessary multi-media support to run the requested assessment" I can't access desktop gadgets and probably a myriad of other neat Windows 7 stuff. The computer came without a disk and originally had a version of Vista installed from Gateway. I do have Windows Media Player but that's it. Anybody have any ideas on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Open your Start menu and type FEATURES
Select 'Turn Windows Features on or off'. When the window opens, expand the 'Media features' section and make sure that the 'Media Center' box has a check mark.

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

Been there done that. There is no Media Center, only Media Player.

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

Try here, see if their detector finds it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/get-started/default.aspx

#5 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

No, been there and done that too! All that tells you is how to enable it if you have it in the first place (frankly, you'd have to be a moron to not be able to figure that out).

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

Well, you can try running system file checker:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

but without the Windows 7 disk, there may not be much you can do, especially since your trouble is not just limited to Media Center.

#7 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

Ran sfc /scannow and found tons of missing files. But like you said-without the disk..

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

Any chance you could find someone with a retail version of Windows 7 to borrow and attempt a repair install?

#9 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

No most of my friends only know how to turn a computer on basically. And none of them have 7 anyway. I actually have a 7 disc but it's 64 bit and this laptop is only 32.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users