Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable & Choppy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jazzman777

jazzman777

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

My friend brought me his laptop in hopes that I might have luck running some system scans on it. It did have several viruses, but problems still persist. It's a really rocking Alienware, a little dated, but now it hardly runs any games and will clip off from time to time. I also attempted to do the Alien Autopsy program, but it will not send the message properly. Lastly, not sure if it helps, but the date and time are never accurate. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

What is the model of the Alienware?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:55 AM

My friend brought me his laptop in hopes that I might have luck running some system scans on it. It did have several viruses, but problems still persist. It's a really rocking Alienware, a little dated, but now it hardly runs any games and will clip off from time to time. I also attempted to do the Alien Autopsy program, but it will not send the message properly. Lastly, not sure if it helps, but the date and time are never accurate. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is usually indicative of a failing CMOS battery. First thing to do-replace it.

CMOS batteries are the least expensive component of a computer.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6794853_change-cmos-battery-laptop.html

#4 jazzman777

jazzman777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the advice on the battery. That will probably address that issue. The model type is an AREA-51M 7700.

#5 jazzman777

jazzman777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

Having removed the guts that are accessable, no battery was located. I did not feel qualified to go much deeper than I went. Also, would that make the system unstable and games all chunky?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

It is possible that the battery is causing the issues. And it is also possible that there are other things going on besides a failing battery that makes the system unstable.

However, you mentioned the system is a dated system, and the date and time are not accurate. This is why I suggested replacing the battery.

The only way you will know if the battery is the cause the problems is to replace it.

Here's a bit more info on failing CMOS batteries:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7580105_signs-bad-cmos-battery.html

http://www.computertooslow.com/cmos-battery-failure-symptoms.asp

http://www.helium.com/items/806743-tips-for-knowing-when-the-cmos-battery-is-getting-weak

Here it is from Alienware support: Replacing the CMOS battery

Alienware also has support forums you can use. The link to the forum is found here http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Support_Area.aspx

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 December 2010 - 01:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users