Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP - Black screen on XP startup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hbtsteve

hbtsteve

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

hi
I'm posting on behalf of my father in law so I apologise if some of the details about the computer are a bit sketchy but:
Hewlett Packard workstation XW6000
XP pro with SP3
He doesnt have a recovery disc as XP was loaded when he got the PC. I do have a copy of XP Pro from my own computer.

Yesterday he thinks there was a virus warning which repeated many times in quick succession and then the computer simply went black and since then we cant get onto it. On boot up we get the HP screen and then a black screen (no blinking cursor). He says the day before he had downloaded the google search tool, but I'm not sure if this was genuine or a virus....

I have tried to follow a few of the threads in this forum so i have tried rebooting in all safe modes and with last known configuration all to no avail - just getting the black screen.

I have also created a recovery console disc and run that up to the point where I have run CHKDSK and been told that'the volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. use /p if you want to check the volume anyway'

I dont seem to be able to check CHKDSK/P or /F or /R as i get 'the command is not recognized message';(I am typing in /p).

I also tried FIXMBR but 'the computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid mster boot record, and FIXMBR may damage partition tables if i continue. I got scared at that point as i'm not sure whether I should or shouldnt!!!

Can anyone help with this?
Many thanks in anticipation
Steve

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2010 - 11:54 AM.
Added emphasis, moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users