Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble starting my computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 emilyc

emilyc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone can help me. Over the last week or so I have been having real problems getting my computer up and running and I don't understand why. I have an HP Pavillion running Windows Vista Home Premium. Basically when I turn it on a variety of things might happen:
1. It will boot up and go right through to the desktop but then will freeze so I have to press the power button to reboot.
2. It will get to the blue HP start up screen and wont go any further.
3. Sometimes it will go to the black screen and ask if you want to go into safe mode or run system repair (or something like that), but then when you choose whatever option it just freezes again.
4. Once or twice I have seen a blue screen but it flashes up so quickly I dont have a chance to write down the error message, the first part is driver_irql_.

Basically it just keeps freezing at various different stages of start up and I have no idea why. Usually it eventually starts up after about 10 attempts at rebooting, but it is very frustrating and I don't want one day for it to not turn on at all.

I'm not a computer wizz, so if anyone has an idea of what is wrong and could talk me through trying to fix the problem I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks

Emily

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:24 AM

hello emily,

if you can get into windows. go to start>computer>C:>windows>minidumps, there will be the message(s) you don't have time to read.
If you can post the latest one here ,someone may be able to help you.. sounds like an out of date driver, or some bad RAM

and if you could post your whole hp pavillion # that would help later on also...

thanks, and good luck

try running the memory tool
start>all programs>administrative tools>memory diagnostics tool
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 emilyc

emilyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

Thank you for your reply Kenny.

I have looked in the Minidump file but I cant view the messages. They are .dmp files?

My computer is an HP Pavillion, model number a6325.uk, is that the number you meant?

Emily

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

hello,
go here put your operating system in the box, click next, it will give you any newer drivers if needed, if theres a newer "chipset" driver, install it 1st then any others..

I would say to bookmark that page as you will need to reboot in between driver installs...

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users