Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot, turns off at POST

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jdbye

Jdbye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

(Note: The thread title should be changed to "Computer won't boot, turns off at POST". If an admin or mod sees this, I'd be grateful if you changed the title.) Done ~ Hamluis.

It all started sometime earlier today, when my RAID 1 array failed, and I noticed a few hours ago that all the directories on the RAID partition were blank, except for the root directory itself and My Documents. None of the files were readable. I rebooted, and indeed, the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" BIOS screen stated that both disks had errors.

I rebooted it again, but all of a sudden it wouldn't boot, no POST beep and no monitor image (on this particular motherboard, the monitor image never appears until after POST though - I don't know if that's common behavior)
The normal fan behavior when I turn on the PC is that the fans go on for less than half a second, go silent for a few seconds, and then I get the POST beep - but now, they just keep spinning at full speed. I had to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off.

The RAID 1 array was working this morning, and some time later an app (that happened to reside on the RAID partition) crashed with a weird error message. I didn't think much of it then, but that was most likely at the time the RAID array failed, since I've never seen that error message before. If so, the PC had been running for several hours with the failed RAID array (before the PC failed completely when I decided to reboot)

Since I'm using the onboard ICH10R hardware RAID, the 2 issues are most likely related. Does anyone have an idea of which component is most likely to be faulty? If I can isolate which part is faulty, I can send it in for repair. Is it likely to be the RAM at all? Could faulty RAM affect the RAID controller in such a way?

Update: The PC now turns off during POST. The fans spin up, the DVD drive spins up, and a few seconds later it turns off.

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2010 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

what kind of hard drives are you using? you should be able to download the hard drive diagnostic tools to test the hard drives, though its rare to have two hard drives fail at once. I would suspect the RAID controller itself, seeing that it is RAID 1 and mirrored you should be able to remove the drives and plug them into another machine individually and back up all your date or even keep them in place while you get a new RAID controller card.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Jdbye

Jdbye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

what kind of hard drives are you using? you should be able to download the hard drive diagnostic tools to test the hard drives, though its rare to have two hard drives fail at once. I would suspect the RAID controller itself, seeing that it is RAID 1 and mirrored you should be able to remove the drives and plug them into another machine individually and back up all your date or even keep them in place while you get a new RAID controller card.

Well, the RAID drives aren't the primary issue, I just mentioned them since it happened right before my PC died, so they're probably related. Especially since the RAID controller is on the mainboard. I don't have another machine I can plug them into at the moment, but I'll try that as soon as I do.
One thing I found odd though, was that on the Intel Matrix Storage Manager screen, it said "Error Occurred" under the Type/Status seen in this image: http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6273/intelraid.jpg (not my image)
I immediately suspected it was a (non-HDD related) hardware failure when I saw that (especially since it was on both HDDs.)

Edited by Jdbye, 17 December 2010 - 11:41 PM.

#4 Jdbye

Jdbye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

I tried turning on the computer again, the fans spin up, the DVD-drive spins up, and then it turns off after a few seconds.
Is it likely that the PSU is faulty? I read somewhere that if the DVD drive spins up, it's not the mainboard that's faulty. The PSU is a Corsair HX750W.
I've had this PC for around a year now, and it has worked perfectly fine until the RAID array failed, not a single BSOD. My laptop sucks, so I want to single out the faulty component and get it repaired as soon as possible.

Edit: Something weird happened... I decided to try removing all the ram sticks, and it gave the POST error code for RAM error. Then I tried reinserting them one by one, and when I had inserted all of them, the PC still worked.
However, when I reconnected the PC, went into the BIOS to change the settings again (since I had reset the CMOS), and rebooted afterwards, it wouldn't boot again. I retried, and it booted. So it seems like it's completely random whether it boots or not.
I retried a couple more times, and it booted both times.

My RAID array still has errors, so I disabled RAID mode, and I'm able to access the HDDs. It seems they don't have identical content on them - I'm unsure why, but the free space on them has a few hundred bytes difference, and I noticed some files were missing on the one with the least free space.
I had been using the RAID in ACHI mode (as opposed to RAID mode) until now, since Windows wouldn't boot with it in RAID mode (the RAID drivers won't install unless already in RAID mode), and it seemed to work fine in AHCI mode, but I am going to try connecting the Windows HDD to a different SATA controller and install the RAID drivers from there, so I can run the Intel Matrix Storage Manager application that will hopefully let me repair the RAID array.

Edited by Jdbye, 18 December 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

You say it worked after you reset the BIOS? try resetting the BIOS again, its possible its a setting within the CMOS. As far as the disc drives spinning, Ive had them spin up on a system that fails to boot and the mainboards fine, so thats not entirely true-it could be the PSU. But, my guess is, if the system is booting fine with the BIOS set to entirely default and the drives not in RAID mode, then my guess would be the RAID controller on the motherboard wento out.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users