Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help please my inbuilt card reader and CD/DVD drive dont recognise memory stick or CD when inserted?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

Hi there

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop which runs Windows XP service pack 3 and I use IE7.

Please note im very much a computer novice and I thought this was the most appropraite forum for me to post for help (if this is not the case please kindly avise me where I should post).

The best way I can describe the problem is I used to be able to for example insert my memory stick from my camera into my inbuilt memory card reader and the photos would automatically just pop up on the screen and I could go from there (I have also tried a diffrent card with the same problem). Nowdays I put the memory card in the reader and it makes a click noise and goes in ok but nothing happens? On the task bar on the bottom right I get a little icon appear that says it safe to remove once card is removed icom disappears.

Also using the inbuilt CD/DVD drive I use to be able to input a CD/DVD in the drive and it would autimatically pop Windows Media Player and I was away nowdays I place a CD in the light flashes showing its doing something but nothing happens nor does Windows Media Player pop up. I have tried on occasion to bring up Windows Media Player manually and on occasion through trial and error on same occasions I can get the CD/DVD to play other times I just give up.

My question is it used to all work perfectly yet now I have these issues orginally I put it down to an older computer live with it but after using google it looks like it may be fixable? This computer novice seek's your help in that area thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2010 - 11:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:28 AM

Do a System Restore, choose a date prior to this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:55 AM

Do a System Restore, choose a date prior to this problem.

Thanks for your reply. But it has been quite a while and a mean quite a while (so system restore is not option/possible in this case wouldnt be able to go back far enough). I just put it down to an older machine and I sort of thought id have to accept it (not that I wanted too). After doing a little bit of google on this issue it looks like it may be quite fixable. At least im hoping so any other suggestions are most welcome.

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

Go to this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715/

scroll about 1/3 of the way down and click on the Microsoft FixIt for "enable autorun"

#5 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for that PolaBar :) I gave it a try but unfortunatley it has not fixed the problem in my case.

As stated in my original post im very much a computer novice with all this sort of stuff but im wondering does the issue sound like I have some drivers missing? (or does that sound like it may be ob thr right sort of track to establishing a fix?)

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

See if this version will work:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en

#7 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the link PolaBar :) I have tried that also and its still partly get the same problem I reported in my original post. Although it seems partly to be fixed.

I didn't allow me to repair anything other than try to repair DVD/CD ram which is D drive for me as all messages said things where already set to auto start. I didn't give me any option to try to repair my card reader?

I did produce a log which I copy and pasted below

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2010-12-19 10:32:24]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 3) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

So the long and the short of it at present is if I put in a CD or DVD in the D drive it now opens Windows Media Player and plays automatically thanks. :)

When I put my memory stick in to my inbulit 6 in 1 card reader from my Sony camera or even a different type of memory card like from my brothers Cannon camera. That still does not bring up the photos on the card inseted basically nothing happens that use too also be an auto function for me when it use to work :( . Im guessing but could it be a driver(S) issues casing this?

Edited by scottietwenty3, 18 December 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:39 AM

Ok, we're gaining ground!

Let's check a few more things.

First we need to make sure the card is being seen by the computer.

Insert a memory card into your reader that has photos on it and then open "My Computer"

Right click on your card reader and select "Open" and see if any files and folders are visible. You may have to click through some sub-folders to get to a picture file, depending on how your camera formats the card.
If you can see a picture file, double click it and see if it will open correctly.

#9 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi PolaBar

Yes that works thanks when I follow those instructions eg My Computer right click open etc and then I can find all photos in a folder including new ones thanks. :)

So that is much futher than I was getting thanks. They way it worked from memory in the past (and its been quite a while) was I thought id pop my memory stick into the inbuilt car reader and it would automatically bring up the photos and gave me the option to save them in my pictures of my laptop etc or the option to view a slide show etc? Please note though the way it is at the moment is more than acceptable though as I can view my photos on my laptop so if that's as good as we can get on that's fine.

Edited by scottietwenty3, 19 December 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#10 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Ok, thats good, that means everything is ok with the card reader so we just need to try a few more things to adjust the autoplay settings.

First, before we try anything else, try the AutoFix again:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en

This time before you run it, put the memory card in the reader and see if that changes the results.

#11 scottietwenty3

scottietwenty3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

Thanks heaps PolaBar. :) Now after running auto fix again with memory stick in the reader it then prompts me what do I want to do eg slide show save to my pictures to my computer etc it brings up the Wizard so I can do all that so im a very happy camper thanks. :) (its now they way I want it and it use to be)

Out of interest what do you think may have been wrong originally?

Edited by scottietwenty3, 19 December 2010 - 07:08 PM.

#12 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

Your Welcome!

Unfortunately there are numerous things that can cause autoplay problems. It is a very common problem and anything from installing/uninstalling programs, windows updates, anti-virus and firewall programs etc. can trigger it, so it is pretty much impossible pin down exactly what the cause was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users