Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Screen Flashes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vom53

vom53

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

System Model
Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400
Processor
2.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded
Main Circuit Board
Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 A00
Serial Number: ..CN7082137UF0EW.
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 12/02/2003
Display
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
Default Monitor

My monitor screen flashes every 2-3 sec once in a while.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

Display adapter driver

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

My driver is up to date. It is just at certain times that the screen flashes while at other times the screen doesn't flashes.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:24 AM

Is the power cable properly plugged in?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:59 AM

"Flashes" is a term that could describe a number of conditions. It would probably be best to organise to substitute the monitor, or try the monitor on another computer, to prove whether the problem is in the monitor or the computer. Also if the video cable is not captive, try a substitute.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

It started after a thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure if it is the monitor or the video card. I have tried adjusting the cable between the monitor and the computer box and it worked once, but it came back again. This yellow/white flashing is hurting my eyes. I checked over in my other computer and it is not due to a virus/malware over the home network. How do I solve my problem?

I also tried this: This

Flash = Flicker

My monitor is e171Fpb.

I check my event logs and I was like : :o What's ADVAPI?
Dang Bang! Gosh! NO!

Also found that in the Admin account my firewall works, but in a Limited Account this appear:

"Privatefirewall Filter Driver could not be communicated.
Your Privatefirewall software must be reinstalled."

Reinstalled it and still same problem.

Edited by vom53, 19 December 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:38 AM

To confirm the location of the problem rather than guessing, it is a huge help if you can prove by substitution.

my other computer

Can you swap monitor/lead between computers to confirm where the problem exists?

When you say "checked over in my other computer and it is not due to a virus/malware" do you mean you virus scanned the flashing computer over the network? ADVAPI can indicate malware, regarding this aspect I suggest to start a topic in the Am I Infected forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

#8 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

To confirm the location of the problem rather than guessing, it is a huge help if you can prove by substitution.

my other computer

Can you swap monitor/lead between computers to confirm where the problem exists?

When you say "checked over in my other computer and it is not due to a virus/malware" do you mean you virus scanned the flashing computer over the network? ADVAPI can indicate malware, regarding this aspect I suggest to start a topic in the Am I Infected forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

The other computer is a laptop. How does connecting to a laptop work?

These are some steps I did just a few hours ago:
-Update my computer/Removed Microsoft Update/Got Back Windows Update/Update works again/Hotfixes from Belarc Advisor shows green light
-Update Spyware Blaster, MBAM Pro, Avast, KeyScrambler, Update Spybot Search & Destroy
-Scan with MBAM Pro : Removed Gamevance (This thing keeps coming back user to user)
-Scan with Spybot Search & Destroy (Removed Win32.Autorun.tmp) Programs finally launched and CPU is working at a normal speed.
-Noticed internet speed was like 44 kb/s when I was usually at 600 kb/s... Test a while.... Might be rain?...Nope...Scan with Multi-Av in safe mode....and use Internet Cell Boost 3....Internet boost like crazy
-Enabled VGA mode....uninstalled drivers....nstalled Intel graphics driver....
-Disable hardware/graphics acceleration to basic acceleration
-Flashes reduces, but occasionally pop up from time to time

What do you recommend next?

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

A laptop will normally have at least one connector to attach an external monitor, although maybe not the connection yours uses. My laptops all have a VGA port and one also has HDMI. If you are able to connect the monitor from the problem computer to the laptop for a while, you could observe if it flashes at all. If it does, then we're dealing with two issues, and can pursue them individually. Depending on the design of the laptop, its own screen may automatically clone to the external screen, or you might have to go into the Display Properties/Settings, select the second display and choose to extend the desktop to it.

If the flashing never happens when connected to the laptop, we could assume it's all part of some malware activity. Either way, considering you've found other malware, and have a problem with the operation of the firewall, I'd say definitely post the relevant information in the Am I Infected forum, and someone in due course will assist you (it might take a while, malware helpers are often overwhelmed). The laptop should also be assessed for infection, as it could be the source of the one that keeps coming back, likewise any flash drives, portable HDDs or similar. It will need to be someone else helping you there, as I'm a hardware guy, not malware or security.

If the monitor still flashes on the laptop, it could be the signal cable or a problem within the monitor such as a bad contact in the input socket or an internal connector, or bad capacitors etc.

#10 rossout

rossout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

If you can access the internet download knoppix and create a bootable dvd from this then boot from the dvd therefore not installing windows, you can boot from a dvd by pressing f11 or f12 on most computers at the first flash screen that displays the logo for your pc or a post (power on self test) screen that displays the devices installed, after knoppix has loaded see if the screen still flashes, if it does its more than likely a problem with your monitor or graphics card not a malware issue, if it is still flashing try other hardware to illiminate any faulty part.

#11 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

When connected from monitor to laptop, there is barely any flashing of color, but there is a very small flash that is noticeable. When Dell Monitor is left alone for its Self Test Feature check, there is no flash.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

there is a very small flash that is noticeable.

Unless your laptop has the same infection (but presumably its own internal screen doesn't flash?), then looks like there is a problem of some kind in the lead/monitor. As a further elimination it would be good if you could borrow a different lead to try.

#13 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:47 AM

This problem started a couple of weeks ago when there was a thunderstorm. The flashes has gotten worse. At time the flashing even stop and when there is barely any rain fall, the yellow has actually dim down. I am not sure if it is the monitor or the graphics card. I tried to connected with an old monitor and a TV screen, but display didn't show.

#14 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

How do you fix a lead?

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

You have to swap it for another lead.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users