Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Accessing Internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 real oldman

real oldman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

My first time in, so please be gentle....
Trying to help a friend who is not the most computer literate.
He recently bought NTL broadband to run on his Win95 system
Since then he has been unable to access Google, Yahoo, Alltheweb, ie any search engine.
He cannot access sites like Easyjet, ryanair,
He gets the page that tells him either page does not exist or there is an error in his search.
I suspect he has a trojan, and there are other problems in his sytem, but basically because his AV software (norton) was installed with the syatem 5 years ago, and he has not upgraded since and he does not run a firewall.
I tried to install AVG from Grisoft, and it complains it cannot find sporder.dll, although I have loaded this in win directory, win.system, and win/sysytem32.
Any ideas why his internet access is so cut down? Or how about AVG? (yes I have contacted them and am waiting reply)
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

Try having him run these 2 online scans, if he can:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:16 AM

:thumbsup: to BC real oldman,
Try this basic security formula:

Do you have a range of anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and all the anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

When the scans are finished reboot in normal mode and go online.

Download the AVG installer again to a folder on your desktop then disconnect from the internet (pull out the cable). Uninstall AVG if possible, and uninstall the Noron Anti-virus then reboot in Safe Mode and try to install AVG there

See if that helps :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 07 December 2005 - 04:18 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 real oldman

real oldman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:29 AM

OK, thanks guys. thats a lot to go on.
I did try the AVG route, but it kept getting someway through the instal, and then backing out as it claimed it had a problem with sporder.dll. I have tried loading this into Window, windows\system, and windows\system32, but avg still cannot find it.

I will try to get round his place to see if all the above helps. I certainly wasn't aware that there was a free trojan scanner. Must try this myself.

Which reminds me. My desktop won'ct connet to the internet, IE starts up and then hangs. I tried reinstalling it, but still the same, so I am forced back to the trusty laptop. Typical, try to help someone else, and your own tools fall apart around you. Back to the bench , I just hope it isn't a case of re-installing win98 again!!!

Thanks again
Real oldman

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:16 PM

Please collect some details about your system and its software (see my signature for example) then post that information and the problem as a new topic. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 07 December 2005 - 09:17 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users