Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

many programs "stopped working"; other are unable to write files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mauriz

mauriz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

[sorry it this topic has already been started: thank you if you redirect me, or relocate my post]
i have windows7 64bit.
it is some weeks that a certain number of my programs refuse to start showing the message "[app] has stopped working". if i go to the event viewer all these events show an error related to kernelbase:
System

- Provider
[ Name] Application Error
- EventID 1000
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 100
Keywords 0x80000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2010-12-17T22:43:20.000000000Z
EventRecordID 469060
Channel Application
Computer LANA-PC
Security
- EventData
WirelessManager.exe
4b0e953c
KERNELBASE.dll
4a5bdbdf
e0434f4d
0000b727

if one googles for "stopped working" kernelbase, one finds a lot of discussions related to how to solve this type of problem when affecting internet explorer, or outlook, or ..., and so on.
fortunately for me none of my 'main' programs is affected, but multiple important and or useful programs: the wireless manager for my mobile broadband card; the utility which changes the wallpaper; the program i use to edit my photographs, and others.
in my opinion the fact that multiple programs share a same error shows that the error is not related to those single, different programs, but to something which has to do with the system.
beside this, there is the fact that some programs are unable to write their files into (public, not reserved) folders: one for all, GIMP. is there a way to reset owners and permissions for files and folders to a default state (as it was 'before')?

could the problem have to do with the fact that i switched from HD to SSD?
(please don't suggest to reformat and or reinstalling win7!!!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

Have you tried using SFC?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
Note The Sfcdetails.txt file contains details from every time that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file includes information about files that were not repaired by the System File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File Checker tool.
3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
edit sfcdetails.txt
The Sfcdetails.txt file uses the following format:
Date/Time SFC detail

The following sample log file contains an entry for a file that could not be repaired:

2007-01-12 12:10:42, Info CSI 00000008 [SR] Cannot
repair member file [l:34{17}]"Accessibility.dll" of Accessibility, Version =
6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_MSIL (8), Culture neutral,
VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:b03f5f7f11d50a3a}, Type
neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file, follow these steps:

1. At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:
icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.
3. Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:
Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination
For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

Edited by dc3, 18 December 2010 - 11:05 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mauriz

mauriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

tnak you for your suggestion.
yes i trid with SFC.
from the log file i extracted 800 lines referring to fils which can't be repaired (but every line ends with "the file is missing even if the file is there).

it's normal, or it's unusual to have 800 files with wrong privileges?
%-((

could i edit the sfcdetail.txt file in order to have it become a batch file to apply 800 privileges changes?

with many thanks
maurizio

#5 mauriz

mauriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

some corrections to what i stated...
the CBS.log file contained the output of 2 SFC runs. so the lines referring to unrepairable files were only 400 (and not 800).
many of them where identical. sorting them, and eliminating duplications i ended with only 37 files which couldn't be repaired.
i am now typing to write a batch file containing 37 times "takeown..." and "icacls..."
after that, i'll reboot and i'll meke you know what's happening.

with many thanks for your help
maurizio

#6 mauriz

mauriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

i run the takeown and icacls commands onto every file which couldn'ět be repaired by SFC.
then i re-run SFC /scannow
then i opened the new CBS.log file: the files which couldn't be repaired were always there.

any idea?
with many thanks for your help!
maurizio

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

You need to do a repair installation of your operating system. Do you have the installation CD for your operating system?

If you do, this tutorial is a good one for this procedure.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users