Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 8 Corrupted

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

OH no he's back!

I have a problem with IE8. It opens but the toolbars are missing, I can do searches but cannot download anything from the internet. I can do searches and get results but if I try to download something (like AusLogics Defrag) it does not download. It will not download IE8 directly from the internet either. I removed Malwarebytes to see if that was blocking downloads. I made a CD copy on another machine and reloaded it and ran updates. It appeared to update just fine and ran forever till I went to bed last night. (full system scan)

Windows XP Pro
Asus K8v Deluxe MB
AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
4 G RAM
NVIDIA FX4900 (?) video card

Also the internet connection Icon is missing from the Task Bar even though I have an internet connection. (if I open Outlook I can download email)

I have copied IE8 to a CD and tried to reload it from there both directly and by copying it to My Documents and running it from there. It appears to be loading, it says it is "removing a previous version" and ask for a restart.

I have also noticed that when I do a search of my Programs that IE8 does not appear on the list of programs. (I was going to try to open it from there)

AVG found 4 infected files and put them in the Virus Vault. (I erased or emptied the Virus Vault. Is that wrong?)

I updated and ran Malwarebytes (full scan) and it found nothing.

This is the machine that was locking up after the Welcome screen earlier this week.

As I noted yesterday in a previous post, This machine wouldn't load the latest downloads when all of these problems started. I tried a new HDD but my Recovery CD for Windows XP Pro was no good anymore.

When I do a search for "all files and folders" and select drive "C" a lot of the files are showing up in blue. I have never noticed this before. Going to do a disk defrag now because the startup seems slow.

Any help will be appreciated.

Soap

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2010 - 11:38 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

Let's try a trip to Am I Infected, to check for malware...I'll move you there :).

It's good to eliminate something, if we can :).

You seem to be focusing on individual symptoms, IMO...let's try a closer look at AII.

Louis

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

I'll meet you there!
UFO pilot

#4 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

OK I'm standing by.

Also I have two other PC's with internet connections.

I cannot do a system restore.

Outlook email seems to work fine.

Have plenty of blank CD's.

Soap
UFO pilot

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

Something else.

Is this situation getting any worst by my leaving the machine on?

And how do you suppose these infections got on there. I use this machine to surf the web very little. What is is primarily used for is to collect emails and sort them to folders for me. I suspect the infection came in an email or in several emails.

It has really made a mess of the machine and I have only made things worst by trying to fix the original "can't download updates" problem.

Soap
UFO pilot

#6 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Sure has been quiet. I guess everybody is just thinking.
UFO pilot

#7 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

OK, I;m sending this from the infected computer. I had an idea that worked. I downloaded "firefox portable" and loaded it her. I have internet access now and can run and send error reports to this forum. Please help. I am leaving the machine on.

Soap
UFO pilot

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

By using Firefox I was able to download and run SuperAntiSptware. It found a bunch of stuff. I still have a IE8 problem though. Would like to get it fixed but it's not a big priority especially after the run around I got from Microsoft and IbuyPower. I guess if this machine ever does really crash I will just build a new one myself.

Edited by sudsy, 18 December 2010 - 12:33 PM.

UFO pilot

#9 Judicandus

Judicandus

Bleepin' Pasta

• Malware Response Team
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

I'm judicandus and I'll be helping you out.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process. Please also continue to work with me until I give you the all clear. Even if your computer appears to act better, you may still be infected.

Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.

Once we start working together, please reply back within 3 days or this thread may be closed so we can help others who are waiting.

Please post a DDS log and Gmer log. For instructions please read this post:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

I moved this to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs,where it will stay.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

OK. I will post asap
UFO pilot

#12 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

Ran and saved the DDS file but when I try GMER the system shuts down after about 30 seconds and reboots. Will try again.
UFO pilot

#13 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

OK GMER failed twice more. Will post DDS in new post after the machine starts again. Getting a "system has recovered from a serious problem" warning and request to send report to microsoft. Did that twice. Please standby for new post
UFO pilot

#14 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

OK. As I said before

GMER failed three times. System crashed and restarted. Attaching DDS log. Now the machine says "error. Yolu are not allowed to upload this kind of file"

What now?

Soap
UFO pilot

#15 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Can't do the DDS log either I guess.