Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Fan Troubles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 morrjt

morrjt

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hello,

I have a five moth old HP dv6 computer with an Intel i7 processor and ATI Radeon 5600 GPU. For the first few months, the computer's fan was silent when the computer was idle or only a few processes were present. If I started to increase the workload on the CPU's, the fan would naturally kick up its pace. About two months ago, I had to reformat my computer due to a problem with my GPU. I have noticed since then my fan is constantly running at a high pace regardless if my computer is idle or working hard. I have cleaned out the fan of dust and it keeps running. It is a relatively new laptop but sounds like my 4 year old laptop. I was wondering if there any pointers or suggestions in how to slow down the fan and prevent it from making so much noise. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

Have you checked your BIOS to see if it is possible to adjust fan speed?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Since the system is still under warranty I would give HP a call.
If the fan is failing have them replace it while you still can
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

depending on air quality 5 mnts is long enough for dust buildup on the fan and heatsinc , i suggest blowing it clean with a can of compressed air
or as suggested send it back to HP for warranty work

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users