Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Question On New Build?.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:27 AM

Hi all, I have now built my PC http://www.budgetbuybuild.com/specmanager/15996/ and it all went without a hitch. I installed my copy of Win7 Home Premium and then installed the BIOS from the CD-ROM which came with the GA-MA770T motherboard. It installed apparently OK and the PC is working fine but the install didn't follow the stages as shown in the User Manual. I put the CD in the drive expecting a Gigabyte options screen to appear with the install options showing but instead just got the Win7 installer box which I okayed and the install went ahead and after a couple of reboots I was back at the Win7 screen. Everything apparently works fine but I read in one of the Win7 users help pages I had found here and other sites via Google that as I understand it in Win 7 when installing programs I should right click and choose "Install as Admin" from the drop down menu instead of using the left click option as I did.

My question then is, should I be worried that Windows Installer has installed the programs on the CD as I would have done or has it used Windows drivers etc instead of the Gigabyte drivers etc etc. Would it be a problem if I uninstalled the BIOS and reinstalled again but using the Admin option this time, or am I worrying needlessly?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

I think we have some terminology confusion here. The BIOS isn't included on the CD, it is a separate download from Gigabyte, and normally you don't update a BIOS unless you need to fix a problem, or need additional processor support.

I think you are referring to the drivers? Do you have any warnings/exclamation marks when you go into "device Manager"?

I think you are worrying needlessly.

Edited by dpunisher, 17 December 2010 - 11:50 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

You're right I was referring to the CD-Rom for the motherboard which came with all the necessary drivers etc. There are no yelloq question marks in device manager, it appears that all programs are installed and working, but I have read about Windows7 installing its own drivers over the products drivers and I would rather have the chipset and audio drivers that Gigabyte intended to be used if you understand what I mean.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

I see what you are saying. I don't even use the drivers from the CD during a new install. I go directly to the motherboard site>support>drivers (http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=GA-MA770T-UD3 ) and download what I need, put them on a USB drive, then install the OS on the new system. As soon as the OS is installed, I install the latest and greatest drivers from the USB drive. You will have to look on your board for the revision number.

If your system is running OK, leave it be. The only thing I really worry about drivers for is the video card, and only then if it is a later model. Otherwise, drivers really don't change much for the other components. Once in awhile you need to update a driver to support new features, or software, but that doesn't occur too often.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for the reply Dpunisher, I went to the Gigabyte site and downloaded a set of the latest drivers for the chipset and realtek Audio and installed them last night. I had already been to the ATI site for the latest Catalyst drivers for my graphics card during the set up process as I had found out with my previous XP OS that the ones on the disc get outdated. Since installing the new chipset drivers etc there is a difference to be noticed. Prior to the install with whatever drivers Win7 used I could not get any chipset info or detailed motherboard info when I ran SIW since the install of the Gigabyte downloaded drivers all this info is now appearing as it did on my previous XP OS. It might be worth a sticky telling people about the differences in using the right or left click option when installing programs into Win7. Anyway consider the problem solved and thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users