Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The benefits of SSD?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xDWolfy

xDWolfy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

Well basically, I'm looking into getting an SSD for my new system build. I'd get one around about 128GB in size and keep my 500GB HDD as a space for all my other stuff, because from what I've gathered, people seem to be getting SSD's in order to boot their OS from , and the main programs they use, as well as security based programs (anti virus software etc.) - I was just wondering what the benefit of this was? Is it really worth shelling out the current prices for one? Or should I just leave it and stick with my current hard drive, and buy one when the prices drop and they become more widely used? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

If you shop and are careful in your research then SSD`s are great. If you want speed and some bragging rights.

Pay particular attention to (sustained) read\write and seek times. There are some standard 3.0 SATA drives that will out perform some SSD`s if you are not careful in comparing specs.

You are really the only one who can decide if the cost is justified.

I spent to much(?) for and 8Gig Transcend SSD for my old Dell lap top. I love it. The difference in overall performance from the original 5400 RPM drive to a 7200 RPM drive to the new SSD is like night and day.
I use it for only the most basic of things so I can get away with the minimal capacity. Have my tower to fall back on for heavy computing and storage.

I plan on basing my next Tower build around this SSD. Of course if your motherboard does not have\support PCI-Ex4 then you can always go with a 3.0 SATA SSD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users