Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ws updates will not proceed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redoak

redoak

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:45 AM

I erroneously posted this initially at the Ws7 Forum. My error came about because "XP" is loaded into VirtualMachine ware-Player with a "Ws7" host.

When I attempt to do a manual update the process goes as far as where you chose "Express" or "Custom". Clicking either one does not bring on the searching of my installation for updates.

What needs to be done?

{redoak}

Edited by redoak, 17 December 2010 - 05:46 AM.

I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:51 AM

Just my guess, but I could be wrong.

Virtual XP is just an image running in Win7 or Vista , it is a subset of the main OS being run in a box, so there is probably no provision to run the updates because the main system is not WinXP, the XP box does not hook into the system itself.

Edited by Mooseby, 17 December 2010 - 07:51 AM.

#3 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

The updates ran, including all of the post SP3 immediately after my first installation of "XP" in VMwP. I carelessly deleted the VWwP installation and had to start all over. Hence, I am trying to bring "XP" "up to snuff." There are no apparent problems other than this one. I am downloading programs, installing them, and using "XP" routinely.

Thanks for the response.
{redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

#4 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:51 AM

I decided to try auto updates with notification and no download nor installation. This morning I found that the large number of post SP3 updates (hotfixes) are waiting for my OK. I will proceed this way, at least until I can find a way to do manual updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users