Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resetting Which Player Willl Play What File Type.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theganjagorilla

theganjagorilla

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:06 AM

Could someone tell me how I can change the settings on my Windows 98 se computer so that I can assign which player plays which file I choose?

As of right now, I have real player, windows media player, quick time player, and AOL all trying to take control of all my media files.

If I do reset which player gets to play what file, will any of the above player try to reset my new settings later on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:54 AM

You can go to each program mentioned, and in the option menues you should be able to set what types of files the program will handle.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 theganjagorilla

theganjagorilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

So what happens when two programs have been set to run the same file?

I "think" that might be the reason why I'm having trouble getting video to d-load from some of the message boards I visit.

In the past I would attemp to view a movie file. Real Player would fire up, and play the video just fine. Now after loading AOL, Windows media player will start up when trying to d-load a video. After the player pops up on the screen, it just sits there trying to connect, never getting any closer to loaded the file than when it started.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:58 PM

So what happens when two programs have been set to run the same file?

Decide which program you want to open which particular file type (,mpg, .mpe, wmv, .....).
Go to that program, and make sure it is set to open that file type.
Go to the other programs and set them to NOT handle that particular file type, usually by un-checking a box.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users