Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Jpeg recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 curiositykat

curiositykat

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:04 AM

My hard drive died a while back and I had a lot of files damaged due to this. Usually I have my photography backed up, but I was working with a bunch of images and of course at the time my hard drive died they were not backed up. I pulled most of them off the hard drive and they have been sitting around since. I have one image in particular I would like to recover as I wanted to put it in my portfolio. It was also my background image at the time. I uploaded it to photobucket before my hard drive died, which just drives me crazy. I can see the image, put photobucket has a total crap file size (118KB) it is practically useless. I have the original file, which is over 4 MB. Its thumbnail works, but only a tiny bit of the top of the picture shows in preview the rest is all gray. I've tried a few free repair tools and have made absolutely no progress on this. Does anyone at all have ANY suggestions on how to recover the original? I would be ever so grateful. This is one of the MANY caterpillars I raised over summer, this specific one is a cercropia. The photobucket file is below. I also have the damaged original file uploaded here

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

How did you retrieve this file from the broken harddrive? did you just copy it or did you use recovery software?

I've tried a few programs on the file you uploaded with no success.... But if you did just copy it from the failed harddrive, i recommend trying to use a file recovery program as it might yield different results.

For example......http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Edited by 666philb, 18 December 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#3 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

Ummm... I used the windows vista update CD to get a command prompt then I just dug into it and learned how to use a lot of the CMOS commands. Basically just copy and pasted it to a thumb drive. Which has been laying around for a few months, because have had no luck with recovering most of the files on it. Its random, some files/pics seen totally fine, other are gone, some are half there. These are files I hand picked off the hard drive before I wiped it. I was able to reformat the drive after a LOT of $^%@$ on its part. I wouldn't trust it though with any data halfway valuable. If this picture is a loss I guess it is a loss then :( . Spent a couple months raising them and the experience is still worth more then the picture.

Tried piriform.com/recuva and no luck there either :unsure: .

#4 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

You can try that. I never have, but Lifehacker recommends it in this article here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users