Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router configuration for maximum results

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

Is there a way to configure my router and modem so I don't drain all of the other connections from the main one? I do alot of downloading with my job (VPN with alot of web casts) and NetFlix HD movie dowload with my PC and Laptop which are directly connected to the router and modem. My wife and kids say they are effected by my use. This is my router and this is my modem. I have nine total connections that are either connected with this N wireless 2.5ghz & 5.0ghz usb adapter. Or with this Panasonic Ethernet adapter. Some are gaming systems or HD media centers. They will all be connected with cat 6 10gb cable this weekend. But is there a setting with my router that I should set for maximum results for all? I was told this router & modem are one of the best out there. Especially for what I need it for alot of connections and downloading. I have a 30meg cable internet connection. Should I upgrade to 50meg cable with all of my PC's.

Router
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122375&cm_re=netgear_router-_-33-122-375-_-Product
Modem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122009&cm_re=cable_modems_motorola-_-25-122-009-_-Product
N USB adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122227&cm_re=netgear_N_usb-_-33-122-227-_-Product
Panasonic adapters
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BL-P.../dp/B000FZXHGO

Thanks

Edited by stinkfist, 17 December 2010 - 08:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

I am getting a 404 web error on the router URL you posted from NewEgg.com

So I have no clue what router you linked us to.

There are routers with QoS features built into the firmware.

There are also features that allow certain Mac addresses to have more flow then others or restricted flow.

I have a NetGear WNR2000v2 wireless N router, mine has many features which allow QoS and Bandwidth control per platform such as VoIP, streaming videos, MSN through a QoS Rule and to which a priority of either low priority or high priority can be set on a specific type of web service.
It can also be set according to a computer or other hardware's MAC address, to give one system or device more bandwidth than another, even on a 24 hour time schedule. So at any point during a 24 hour clock cycle, you can change the bandwidth allowances from one MAC address to another, by either lowering one while raising another and vise-versa.

I do not know which router you have but if you could post the make and model number instead of a url to it I can look the device up myself and see what features it has.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 December 2010 - 02:10 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

I am getting a 404 web error on the router URL you posted from NewEgg.com

So I have no clue what router you linked us to.

There are routers with QoS features built into the firmware.

There are also features that allow certain Mac addresses to have more flow then others or restricted flow.

I have a NetGear WNR2000v2 wireless N router, mine has many features which allow QoS and Bandwidth control per platform such as VoIP, streaming videos, MSN through a QoS Rule and to which a priority of either low priority or high priority can be set on a specific type of web service.
It can also be set according to a computer or other hardware's MAC address, to give one system or device more bandwidth than another, even on a 24 hour time schedule. So at any point during a 24 hour clock cycle, you can change the bandwidth allowances from one MAC address to another, by either lowering one while raising another and vise-versa.

I do not know which router you have but if you could post the make and model number instead of a url to it I can look the device up myself and see what features it has.

Bruce.

Ok thanks try this link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122375&cm_re=netgear_router-_-33-122-375-_-Product

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

Lets get this topic to the NetGear web site which has more product support for the WNDR37AV router which is the hardware of this topic.

Here is the NetGear link. http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/16160

I am going to download your router's owners manual just so I can look through it for suggestions that I can make to you.

In the meantime, this web page I linked to above has documentation and other useful information that would be useful for you to better understand your hardware and there are firmware updates as well.

Please check this page out while I check through the owners manual.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 December 2010 - 08:23 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

Errr, <_< Never seen a NetGear product with NO available downloads, not even the owners manual is offered. :angry:

So I can't really get an idea of how your firmware is laid out in your router to offer you accurate suggestions and I do not really want to go on guessing and giving you the wrong information either.

Sorry about that.

Bruce.

#6 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:41 AM

Errr, <_< Never seen a NetGear product with NO available downloads, not even the owners manual is offered. :angry:

So I can't really get an idea of how your firmware is laid out in your router to offer you accurate suggestions and I do not really want to go on guessing and giving you the wrong information either.

Sorry about that.

Bruce.

I was told it is pretty much the same as the NETGEAR WNDR3700. But with no firmware issues. It is a newer version of the NETGEAR WNDR3700.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326&Tpk=netgrear%203700

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3700/Documentation/SM/WNDR3700_SM_04JUN2010.pdf

Edited by stinkfist, 19 December 2010 - 03:42 AM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

Hmm? Still no lay out listed in the manual you listed above for the routers setup menus.

If you can find one let me know.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users