Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frozen at Boot From Cd

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Turboaccord

Turboaccord

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

I have seen plenty of posts on this matter however they have all been fixed by methods I have already tried. I have had no problems with my computer til this happened. I shut down my computer like I always do came back and turned it on about an hour later, seen the eMachines logo flash up and then it went to the PCI Device listing and said Boot from cd. I left it sitting there up to an hour and it did nothing. I changed the boot order to Primary -Hard Drive Secondry -CD Rom. Now instead it goes to the same screen and does not say Boot from cd. So then I had the bright idea to insert my Restore disc and I did a restore with a backup, for it to still do the same thing. Next time I did a full restore and it still does the same thing! It will not let me boot into safe mode as it does not give me the option. I have attached a picture of what is wrong it would not let me insert into my picture!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Turboaccord

Turboaccord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:32 AM

Anyone?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

I don't see any graphics...exact wording of error message or whatever appears onscreen, please?

You can access the BIOS/Setup...does it accurately display your hard drive and optical drive?

Is the time/date accurate?

Can you change the boot options...if so, do they remain as you changed them...on your next attempted boot?

Louis

#4 Turboaccord

Turboaccord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

Date and time is correct and when I change the settings on the BIOS they stay the same after a re-boot. It does identify my cd-rom and Hard Drive properly! I was first stuck on the Boot From Cd Screen so I changed the primary boot to HDD and now it goes to the same screen it just does not say boot from cd!

Posted Image

Tell me what else you need to see there and I can take more pictures!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Please enable S.M.A.R.T., if there is a potential or eminent problem with the hdd this will show that this is either Bad or Failed.

What is the model of this emachine?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Turboaccord

Turboaccord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

It is a w3650. I enabled S.M.A.R.T and now it says enabled.. Is there something I should have done from there?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:03 AM

When the computer goes through the POST (Power On Self Test) and there is a problem with the hdd the S.M.A.R.T. will respond with a message letting you know that there is a problem with the hdd. It may say something to the effect of S.M.A.R.T. Bad, or it failed. Both are indications of an eminent failure of the hdd.

From what you have posted I have to wonder if you have a problem with the hdd. If you know what the manufacturer is you can go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool which will be able to tell you if there are any problems with it.

Edited by dc3, 18 December 2010 - 01:05 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Turboaccord

Turboaccord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

Maybe I should post a video of what it is doing. Getting to the desktop to download any kinds of tool is not going to happen! This thing freezes up as soon as it is turned on. In c couple of hours I will make a video and post it on youtube!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Can you open the BIOS? If you can you should be able to boot from the CD that you will make from the download at the manufacturer's web site.

Obviously you have access to another computer. Download the diagnostic tool to it and make the disk on it as well.

#10 Turboaccord

Turboaccord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

OK ran the scan and got this error

Error/Status Code 0007 Test Completed with READ ELEMENT FAILURE!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

Google Says...

If you ran the short diagnostic (where a long and a short are offered)...I suggest running the long diagnostic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users