Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Being Hijacked, crashes

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 caccigirl

caccigirl

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

I know my computer has SOMETHING. I've scanned with Malwarebytes (full scan) and ESET online scanner, and they've found NOTHING. I have AVG Resident-Shield on 24/7.

I've had plenty of viruses to know there is SOMETHING on this computer. Safari crashes at least 5 times a day (I'm on the Internet at least 8 hours a day for work) and the computer is lagging a LOT. Also, within the last 4-5 days, I've noticed that I will be on the internet on Safari, and suddenly the page will just refresh on its own. It happens a couple times a day. Also, about every few minutes, the mouse and everything will freeze, then go back to normal a few seconds later.

I'm just about to pull my hair out. Usually ESET, AVG, or MBAM detect it and get rid of it, but they've found nothing. Oh, by the way, I am on a Dell desktop running windows XP.

Also, all of the scans were not run in safe Mode, just "regular" mode (I guess that's what you would call it?)

I have posted several topics, within the last month, and no one will help me. I cannot seem to get a reply. If ANYONE would be kind enough to help, it would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cassidy

Edited by caccigirl, 16 December 2010 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Also this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366785.html/page__p__2053503__fromsearch__1#entry2053503

I'll get you some help, please be patient.

However you never followed up here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic360323.html/page__p__2015987__fromsearch__1#entry2015987

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

I'm sorry, I guess I never received an email notification for that second one? If I did, it was proabably filtered as spam. So sorry! Should I wait for help on this post, or follow up on that second one?

#4 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

Hello caccigirl ,
  • Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
  • My name is fireman4it and I will be helping you with your Malware problem.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean".
  • Finally, please reply using the Posted Image button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply, unless they do not fit into the post.

Sorry you got lost in the shuffle but we are all volunteers and are very busy this time of the year. We need to get some information before we proceed.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

Things to include in your next reply::
SAS log
Gmer log
The next time AVG gies a virus warning Please write down what it is and what file is associated with it.
How is your machine running now?

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#5 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hi,

Thankyou for the help. Before I download or scan with anything, will it interfere with any of the antivirus programs I have? I have AVG (latest version...I think?) and Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware, and the ESET online scanner button on my desktop.

Also, I'm having trouble viewing some images. Just thought you should know...most likely has to do with the virus. Yes, I do see most images, but a few appear as the standard Safari "?" image.

#6 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

Hello, Yes I would disable any Av or spyware protection it may interfere and could slow down the scans. Make sure to turn them back on after you do the scans. Gmer may not run in reg mode you may have to go into safemode.
Now reboot into Safe Mode.
This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer
You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode.
Make sure you choose the option without networking support.
Please see here for additional details.

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#7 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

hi,
Great, I am on the SAS scan right now. It's already found 9 threats. I'll report back as soon as it's done scanning (:

Sent from my iPhone

#8 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:46 AM

Hi again,

Almost FIVE hours (my gosh, yes, five) SuperAntiSpyware is finished running. It found 9 threats, all grouped under "Adware.TrackingCookie" They were all successfully quarantined and removed.

Just thought I would let you know that I'll run Gmer tomorrow and get you a reply asap. By the way, even after the "threats" were removed with SAS, my computer is still lagging quite a bit.

Thanks!
Cassidy

#9 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#10 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

Okay, hodgepodge of new symptoms.
I've been having a lot of trouble with the internet. I have a Proboards site, in which there is a chatbox. The chatbox is in HTML coding and something "added" onto the site. The site loads fine, but I can barely ever get the chatbox to load (it's just a big white square).

Also, I'm not a virus-genius, but I think this is a bad sign: I disable AVG. I download GMER. I start a scan. I go into another room and come back about 2 minutes later to see blue screen of death. I took a picture with my iphone and uploaded it. Here's the picture:

Posted Image

What should I do? Scan again? I won't do anything until I get a reply.

Thanks,
Cassidy

#11 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hello,

Did you try running Gmer in Safemode?

Now reboot into Safe Mode.
This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer
You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode.
Make sure you choose the option without networking support.
Please see here for additional details.

If you still can't get Gmer to run then do the following.

Please download Rootkit Unhooker from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
Link 1 (.exe file)
Link 2 (zipped file)
Link 3 (.rar file)In order to use this tool if you downloaded from either of the second two links, you will need to extract the RKUnhookerLE.exe file using a program capable of extracing ZIP and RAR compressed files. If you don't have an extraction program, you can downlaod, install and use the free 7-zip utility.

• Double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan.
  • Check Drivers, Stealth, and uncheck the rest.
  • Click OK.
  • Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report.
  • Save the report to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the report into your next reply.
-- Note: You may get this warning...just ignore it, click OK and continue: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself! It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?".

Please download MBRCheck to your desktop.

1. Double click MBRCheck.exe to run it (Right click and run as Administrator for Vista).
2. It will open a black window, please do not fix anything (if it gives you an option).
3. Exit that window and it will produce a log (MBRCheck_date_time).
4. Please post that log when you reply.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#12 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

How do I get Gmer to download in Safe Mode without networking?

#13 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

Hello

Download it to your desktop in Normal Mode. Then go into safemode and run it. :)

Edited by fireman4it, 18 December 2010 - 01:40 AM.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#14 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

Hi,
I downloaded gmer and saved it to my desktop, but when I went into safemode, it wasn't on the desktop. I tried running it again in regular mode, and it ran fine. Here is my copy-and-pasted log:

GMER 1.0.15.15530 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2010-12-19 00:30:09
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP0T0L0-4 ST3120026A rev.3.16
Running: ksv70oo8.exe; Driver: C:\DOCUME~1\Scott\LOCALS~1\Temp\uwriypob.sys

---- Kernel code sections - GMER 1.0.15 ----

.text C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys section is writeable [0xF68CB360, 0x32E00D, 0xE8000020]

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 ----

AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip avgtdix.sys (AVG Network connection watcher/AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp avgtdix.sys (AVG Network connection watcher/AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp avgtdix.sys (AVG Network connection watcher/AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp avgtdix.sys (AVG Network connection watcher/AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat fltMgr.sys (Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager/Microsoft Corporation)

---- Registry - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Reg HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows@DeviceNotSelectedTimeout 15
Reg HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows@GDIProcessHandleQuota 10000
Reg HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows@Spooler yes
Reg HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows@swapdisk
Reg HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows@TransmissionRetryTimeout 90
Reg HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows@USERProcessHandleQuota 10000

---- Disk sectors - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 01: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 02: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 03: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 04: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 05: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 06: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 07: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 08: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 09: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 10: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 11: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 12: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 13: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 14: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 15: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 16: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 17: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 18: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 19: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 20: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 21: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 22: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 23: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 24: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 25: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 26: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 27: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 28: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 29: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 30: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 31: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 32: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 33: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 34: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 35: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 36: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 37: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 38: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 39: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 40: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 41: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 42: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 43: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 44: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 45: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 46: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 47: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 48: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 49: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 50: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 51: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 52: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 53: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 54: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 55: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 56: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 57: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 58: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 59: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 60: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 61: copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 62: rootkit-like behavior; copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sector 63: rootkit-like behavior; copy of MBR
Disk \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 sectors 234374752 (+246): rootkit-like behavior;

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

#15 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:29 AM

Hello,

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

Things to include in your next reply::
TDSSkiller log
Gmer log
How is your machine running now?

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users