Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel i3-370M 2.4 gHz

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

I was always wondering about this but I noticed that on my computer it detects that there is 4 CPU so does that mean that my Sony notebook that is a Intel i3-370M 2.4 gHz is like a quad core? Since it's like a quad core will games run better than a normal dual core? I did get the new Sony computer 3 weeks agao and normaly it costed $700 but I got it for $580 since it was on sale. The model I have is VPC-EB3QFX. You can google it it you want more specs.

Here are some specs of my machine

Intel i3-370M 2.4 gHz

4 GB DDR3 ram

320 GB hard drive

Intel HD Graphics 1.7 GB video ram

Realtek High Definition Audio

Windows 7 Home 64 bit
http://www.vanillaice378.proboards74.com

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49020 negative, dual core, 2 cores, 4 threads (which is where whatever your using to detect it is getting 4 cores from)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

Is having 4 HT like having a quad core without HT? I also see that it is showing like it's a quad core on my task manager when you click on performance tab.

Posted Image

#4 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

Also will having 4 HT will help games run better than just having a normal dual core?

Posted Image

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:32 PM

Im not real up on intel CPUs and technology, but from my understanding, its supposed to basically double the performance-kinda like a quad core would (an older quad like say a core2 quad) So it would perform better then a dual core without such technology. I dont know the specifics of how it works though, an actual intel quad (such as a i7) will easily outperform it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 eng.A.Triffonov

eng.A.Triffonov

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:55 AM

Im not real up on intel CPUs and technology, but from my understanding, its supposed to basically double the performance-kinda like a quad core would (an older quad like say a core2 quad) So it would perform better then a dual core without such technology. I dont know the specifics of how it works though, an actual intel quad (such as a i7) will easily outperform it.

That is almost right, but HT itís a virtualization tech, which made 2 normal physical cores to run at half of CPU tact CLK but whit twice more MULTITASKING per SECOND capability, which means, that processor physically runs at 2.4GHz but the 4HT virtual coprocessors runs at 1.2GHz, and if you simply multiply 4x1200=4800MT/s. This is not like a real QUAD Core CPU, because the real one is have 4 physical cores and each of them runs at 2.4GHz or even at 4.1GHz and there is a real SIX cores CPU at 4.1GHz OC (Phenom II 1095 BE). For real multi cores CPU the formula of MT/s itís a bit different and is simplified like this: N(cores)xFr(MHz)x1.3(coefficient of Moor for self multitasking)=X(MT/s) for example:
4(cores) x 2411MHz x 1.3 = 12537.2MT/s or 6(cores) x 4114 x 1.3 = 32089.2MT/s

But this is only pure math power of the CPU, when comes to gaming, the things are a bit different, it is true that the multicore CPU are bather, thereís no doubt, but if you want to play games you have to have a gaming GPU (video card) and this Sony VAIO that you have is a quite week at this point. The Intel HD Graphics 1.7 GB shared video ram is a very good business, visual effect and stylish card, but when it comes to rendering tessellation unit itís a pure disaster. But it can run some games in a low level or graphic resolution and details, but without smooth vision Anisotropic and Anti Aliasing. When bought a PC or NB you shood look for real GPU like ATI MR HD5470 1GB GDDR5 dedicated video ram, or even with 512MB itís a quite faster then Intel HD integrated shÖt <_<. In my country we can afford to bay cheep PC because we are not rich people, thatís way we bought a bit expensive PCs to gem maximum performers and gaming power. For ex: http://mostbg.com/most/Item.aspx?itemid=42920

Sorry if I hurt someone feelings but thatís the true! I am a PC constructor and engineer for more then a decade and Iíve see so many people to bay e shÖt, and thatís way I am so angry at the sellers which only what to sell there staff without thinking for the Customers.

P.S. If you can stop from BIOS the HT tech at your CPU itís better if you gone play CS 1.6 or The Source, and other Open GL games, because they do not use MT and HT and they runs only at 2 of 4 virtual cores at 1.2GHz, and if you disable HT they will run at 2 real cores at 2.4GHz :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users