Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use programs already installed for XP with Win7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

I have dual, boot situation, working great so far, Installed Win7 to a seperate drive. I would like to not reinstall, MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, adobe dreamweaver suite, etc... Is there a way to get Win7 register to recognize and accept preciously installed applications in XP Pro? This is being written from the XP boot if that makes a difference.
Thank you.

HDD Configuration.
Drive C: 80GB Physical
Drive D: 140GB Physical
Drive E: 120GB Physical
Drive F: 20GB Logical

XP Pro installed on drive C:
Win7 Installed on Drive F
Win7 applications, placing on Drive E:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

Are these 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems.

Have you tried using Compatibility Mode?

To open the Program Compatibility Wizard go to Start> Control Panel> Programs. Click on Use an older program with this version of Windows.

Follow the instructions in the wizard.

If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the program and, using the wizard, browse to the program's setup file, usually called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or something similar. The wizard is not designed to work on programs that have an .msi file name extension.

To change compatibility settings manually for a program, right-click the icon for the program, click Properties, and then click the Compatibility tab.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thank you, I will try that today. Both are 32 bit. I do not know why I didn't think of that. What I am trying to accomplish is to use the same application as the same user as already installed. For instance, MS Outlook, I already have all my e-mail addresses and contacts and calendar setup in XP I want to be able to use that same user in Win 7. I also do not want to use disk space to install the same applications multiple times.

#4 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

Sorry, dc3 none of your suggestions were available, I also tried using other methods, like running in Administrator mode, nothing worked. Had to reinstall. Well sorta installed, I installed over the existing XP installation and it looked like it may have added some file for Win7 and registered it. Outlook wouldn't start, Word started with errors.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

Each operating system needs its own programs installed individually. You could have a 1TB hard drive with 10 operating systems (let's say a mixture of XP, Vista, and 7) and each one would need the programs installed for it.

You can't run programs that were installed on another partition/OS.

So, if you want to run the programs you have already installed in XP, you will need to install them in Windows 7 like normal.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:55 AM

My mistake, I thought you were loading these programs to W7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users