Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message when trying to print

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 genthore

genthore

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

I KNOW how to use the printer- I have used it many times and it is working fine. The problem I have is in the method I use to print.
In the past i was able to right click on a jpeg icon on my desktop and scroll down to Print. Now when i try to do that i get a message which reads:
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.
The files are not in a folder - they are on the desktop- what folder options am I supposed to open? At one point a while back I disabled thumbnails from appearing in my folders- could that have anything to do with it? As silly as that may sound- it is the only thing I have changed in the last 6 months and I used to be able to right click on files and print that way but can no longer do it- so who knows- not me thats for sure.
Any help would be great- I am running Windows XP Pro and IE8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AleX

AleX

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

I hope this will help: How to add the print directory feature to Windows Explorer.
By the way, this topic isn't in right forum. You should have posted it in Windows XP Home and Professional. :cherry:
Regards,
Alex

Edited by AleX, 16 December 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#3 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

Sorry it was wrong forum- I put it here because I thought since it was printer problems I would be told to put it here if I put it in Windows XP forum...go figure
I followed that link - tried the "fix it for me" option it said that it worked however it didn't fix the printing by right clicking issue - I don't know if it did something else.
Is it too late to do the fix it myself option? I don't like editing the registry :(

#4 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

I was hoping it was a plugin that wasnt registered or something like that

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

This topic involves a printer, so it looks right at home to me. :whistle:

Try enabling the thumbnails and see what happens.

Start> Run> type in regsvr32 shmedia.dll, click OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

Thanks - I never would have guessed your name had anything to do with Peanut Butter- lol.
I did what you suggested and it thumbnailed all the video files but not the jpegs or bmps and I till cant right click print :(
I know there are other ways to print that I can use so its not like I cant print at all- I just want to set the printer on default settings and print in one click rather tahn having to pick settings per job I am doing.

#7 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:52 AM

Any other suggestions?
Do you think it would help if I unistalled the printer and reinstalled it? would that do anything?
I don't understand why I can no longer print by right clicking on a photo icon and choosing print from the menu
I didn't change anything other than the thumbnail view in my folders but have since changed it back.
I don't know if it is just a settings issue or if I need a plugin or maybe some .dll enabled ?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

You could try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them if you still have the CD that came with the printer.

Have you tried doing a System Restore to a date prior to this trouble?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

I do have the printer disc- Im gonna try that.
system restore ? prolly not gonna help - I am not sure when it started and can only roll it back to a certain point
Ill post again once I try the reinstall

#10 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

reinstall did nothing
still cant print unless I open the software that came with HP printer :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic