Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't start Firefox anymore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

I use Win 7 pro and Firefox 3.6.13. I have been using FF for a number of years, but today I tried to open it and I get 2 consecutive error messages.

The 1st one says,
"Firefox has stopped working. Windows will close the program and notify you if solutions are available."

The 2nd then opens as the 1st closes and says,
"Firefox has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution."
There is a cancel button to press or it'll just close FF all by it self a few seconds later.
:woot:
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling,Rebooting the computer, went to my Mozbackup program and restored a backup from a couple of days ago, and I tried a system restore from yesterday, all to no avail. I still get the same 2 messages. After the messages sho up I click OK and the browser closes.
Does anybody have any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Floyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,879 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

Have you tried opening Firefox in Firefox Safe Mode?
Here's how to start Firefox in Safe Mode in Windows 7 (or Windows Vista):

• If Firefox is open, close down Firefox completely.
  • In Windows 7 (or Vista), click Start, then click All Programs. and
  • Navigate to the 'Mozilla Firefox' folder and select the Mozilla Firefox folder, then click 'Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)'.
  • Firefox should start up in Safe Mode and you will get a Firefox Safe Mode dialog box.
  • You now have three options:
  • Clicking the Exit button cancels your attempt to get into Firefox's Safe Mode.
  • Clicking the Continue In Safe Mode button starts Firefox in its Safe Mode. While you are in Safe Mode, your extensions and themes will be disabled, and any toolbar customizations will be reverted back to their defaults. These changes are not permanent - when you leave Safe Mode and start Firefox up normally, your extensions, themes, and settings will return to the state they were in before you entered Safe Mode.
  • The Make Changes and Restart button is only enabled if you select one of the boxes above it.
If that does not work, then the next thing would be to do a clean uninstall. Which means deleting ALL Firefox/ Mozilla files including
your Firefox profile.

If you do not already have your bookmarks backed up, you should attempt first to find them and backup

Uninstalling Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

Buddy, thanks for the reply. I just finished repairing it about an hour ago. I did use safe mode and disabled all my addon extensions. I started back enabling them one at a time and found the culprit. It was the McAfee Site Advisor that was causing it. I later realized that it has caused problems before with FF for me. I downloaded a barely newer version from their site and all seems to be well again.
Thank you again for you offer of help.

By the way, would you happen to know of any other free software that will notify you of suspicious sites when you land on them. I use MS Security Essentials for everything and it seems to do a good job.
Let me know if you have any ideas for a substitute program.
Floyd

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

WOT: http://www.mywot.com/en/download

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,879 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Firefox warns you.

How does Phishing and Malware Protection work in Firefox?
Phishing and Malware Protection works by checking the sites that you visit against lists of reported phishing and malware sites. These lists are automatically downloaded and updated every 30 minutes or so when the Phishing and Malware Protection features are enabled. The technical details of the safe-browsing protocol are also publicly available........
.........You can test to see if Phishing Protection is active by trying to visit our phishing test site. Likewise, you can try to visit our malware test site to confirm that Firefox is blocking Attack Sites as well. With Phishing and Malware Protection turned on, both sites should be blocked from loading........

Firefox Phishing and Malware Protection

Site Advisor has never played well with Firefox. It really isn't much help. I do sometimes check
what it's reviewers have to say about a website. It will flag an entire site as dangerous if one link on that
site is not up to par. Better to have NoScript to protect against "drivebys" and avoid clicking on links unless
you are sure where they go to. Every popular site at one time or the other has had malware on it.

There are other addons such as Site Advisor but since I don't use any of them, I will pass on recommending one
and most likely someone else will.

Glad you got your problem solved.

Edited by buddy215, 17 December 2010 - 06:32 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Jaksueaj

Jaksueaj

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

i also have same problem last 3 days ago and ive been looking for an answer over internet, thank i found this forum. thanks for this post it really helped me.

#7 xwhitleyx

xwhitleyx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

I had the same problem and this worked like a charm....Thank you, Thank you, Thank you..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users