Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio sounds very muted...but it is not muted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sistreat

sistreat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

I have a HP Pavilion a1253w computer...running Windows XP. For the past 6 months the audio has been almost gone. I can put the speakers within 12 inches of my ears and hear the sound like it is far away. 6 months ago I had to put my ear right on the speakers to hear it so it is some better (not much). I want a full normal sound coming out of my speakers.

I checked the sound board and nothing is muted anywhere, i uninstalled all the audio devices and reinstalled, I check diagnosis and it says nothing is wrong with the sound card/device. Nothing fixes this problem.

What could be wrong with my computer sound since nothing is muted and it says sound card is good? I am totally perplexed by this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Are you currently running an on-board sound card, if so, I can almost guarantee (about 70% sure) that your on-board card hasn't so much died, but is well on the way.

Get yourself an expansion sound card relative to the available slots you have and you should be fine.

On-board cards are known to go from time to time, id say a safe estimate would be approx 20% of boards lose their on-board sound abilities at some point in the first 5 years.

#3 sistreat

sistreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Dee...I will def do this and will be so happy with a full sound coming out of my computer again! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users