Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows could not start because file is corrupt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdynasty

jdynasty

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

Upon booting up my laptop, "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: /windows/system32/config/system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

1) I do not have a startup disc. Is there anyway to proceed without one?

2) If I obtain a startup disc, is there anyway to save "files" "programs", or will I lose everything?

I'll be happy to provide additional information as asked. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

The issue is that it is not awlays as easy as the first step, yes there are ways to get teh Recovery Console without the disk, however it is not easy to do a repair install without the disk.

You will need the OS CD to run recovery console or use some other live CD to open the disk and move things around.

Here is the MS page on how to do it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

I have tried this at work, but there was a bad sector on the disk drive and it was failing anyhow. And no doing what MS says will not mess up your data unless you have to go to the STEP 4

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:35 AM

A CD that will allow you to follow the steps in the article Mooseby linked to can be created as follows:

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 jdynasty

jdynasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

A few questions before I proceed.

The computer in question OS is Windows XP Home. Blondie, should I still select "Windows XP Professional sp2 and sp3" as suggested?

Secondly, I DID select the above OS, and am following the instructions given by microsoft. However, after starting the recovery console, I have received the following message: "Which windows installation would you like to log onto<to cancel, press ENTER>?

It allows me to only type 1 character. Pressing Enter just took me back to the beginning. Thanks for your help.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

Secondly, I DID select the above OS, and am following the instructions given by microsoft. However, after starting the recovery console, I have received the following message: "Which windows installation would you like to log onto<to cancel, press ENTER>?

Typically you have to type there 1 and then press enter.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#6 jdynasty

jdynasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

I pressed "1" and it takes me to c:\windows

From reading the intsructions posted by Mooseby, it should ask for admin password. The step after that says to type: "md tmp". I do, and it replies "a directory or file with the name tmp already exists".

Suggestions?

Lastly, please confirm if it makes a difference that I'm running XP home, and that I created a cd for XP prof. Thanks

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

No problem you use the XP pro image when you use XP home. This has no influence on how the Recovery Console is loaded.

The step after that says to type: "md tmp". I do, and it replies "a directory or file with the name tmp already exists".

Once you do this once, you have created the directory tmp, you can then go to the next step.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users