Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after Windows Splash screen

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Thies Windu

Thies Windu

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Yesterday when I went to shut down my computer it began to install the Microsoft updates from the Tuesday patch (KB 2436673, KB 2440591, KB 2443105, KB 2467659, KB 2443685, KB 2296199, KB 2423089). When I came back into the office this morning the computer was shut down. When I booted I got the Bios screen and the windows splash screen just fine. Then it just hangs on a black screen. My initial thought was the video card driver. I booted into Safe Mode and uninstalled the driver. No change. Thinking that maybe one of the updates was borked I tried to restore to Monday. No change. I ran spybot and anti-malware which found two entries each related to a trojan downloader. I removed them and ran the tests again which came back clean. I then ran AVG which also came back clean. About a week ago I had a suspicious file which AVG detected and I then removed. I think that this file caused some damage which did not become apparent until Microsoft update tried to patch.

I am running XP Pro SP3. I really need to get at some db files but SQL Server Agent will not run in safe mode and the backup from yesterday failed. I assume this happened due to the update at the time of shutdown as the backup is set to occur then as well.

I found a thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic356791.html)where elise025 helped somebody out with a similar problem, however the other person could not start safe mode so I am unsure if I should use the same steps.

Thanks

Thies

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2010 - 02:11 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

<<I found a thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic356791.html)where elise025 helped somebody out with a similar problem, however the other person could not start safe mode so I am unsure if I should use the same steps.>>

The solutions for malware problems...are seldom generic, since each situation involves a different system, different circumstances, etc.

So...my advice is never to try to use someone else's malware situation...which has been defined and treated by those with expertise...to self-resolve your own situation.

I would suggest that you start in the Am I Infected forum...I'll move this topic there.

Louis

#3 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

Thanks hamluis.

Hopefully this is an easy fix. Currently I am running AVG again just to see if rebooting re-activated something that was previously removed. Just wish the scan would not take so long.

#4 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

Just found this: http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen-woes-could-affect-millions-on-Windows--Vista-and-XP.html

Going to try to see if this is what affected me.

#5 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Nope. That did not do anything. Grr.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:56 AM

There can be many possible causes for your "black screen" problem when attempting to start Windows normally, so let's start with a few of the most basic options:

:step1: Try the following ...
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
  • The computer will attempt to load Windows.
  • If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
EXAMPLE OF A CASE IN POINT: Why 10 times?
christiedell ... "L K G C worked on try 5!"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic267221.html

:step2: Check that your hard drive is not failing. On a working computer, download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD.

To make a bootable CD, download the .ISO image to your computer. If you don't have a suitable burning program, download ImgBurn and install it. Open ImgBurn, and choose to "Write image file to disc", and then navigate to the .ISO file that you have just downloaded. The completed CD will then be bootable.

Boot the afflicted machine with with the CD that you have just burned, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD, see the following link:
How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

:step3: If there is no problem what-so-ever with the hard drive ...

Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the option to "Automatically fix file system errors".
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in the upper box ONLY (beside "Automatically fix file system errors") > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:
    • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
    • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
      This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
    • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
    • If any errors were found, or repairs made, re-start the computer a second time.
  • If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat Check Disk.
A log of the disk check is recorded (only if the scheduled re-start is used).
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the "copy" button to copy the log to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.
Please post the chkdsk log(s) if you experience any problems.

Does Windows start normally now?

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 December 2010 - 06:05 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for your reply AustrAlien.

I did point 1. I tried it 10 times and nothing changed. I left it on the black screen for about 10 minutes each time. I then tried the "Prevent automatic restart option" and I actually got to a Blue screen. BAD_POOL_CALLER. STOP: 0xc2

When googling it ('cause google is my friend ;)) I find that: " Kernel-mode process or driver problem.

The Stop 0xC2 message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations"

My guess is that part of the malware/virus removal process or the Windows update removed something a remainder of the trojan needs and due to that causes the lock up.

I will keep going with your other recommendations once I am done backing up my data.

#8 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Completed point 2. Had to use the Hitachi solution as the SeaTools would not install in safe mode. No errors found.

Currently on point 3. This looks like it might be awhile.

#9 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

Completed Step 3. No errors found. It then proceeded to restart but encountered and error and rebooted. I tried to get into safe mode but now it locked on the AGP440 driver. Currently repeating step 3.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

SeaTools would not install in safe mode

You have a Seagate HDD? You should download "SeaTools for DOS" (not "SeaTools for Windows"), and burn it to a CD, as instructed. Boot from the CD and run the Long/Extended test.

Assuming that you can still boot into Windows, it might also be useful to disable "automatic restart":
Right-click on "My Computer" > select "Properties" > "Advanced" tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click "Settings" and disable (un-tick) "Automatically restart". Click "OK", and if you get a "System Control Panel Applet" warning "If the pagefile on volume .... Continue anyway?", click "Yes", and again "OK" to close the last window.

Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows XP
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

Didn't see the one for DOS but will run it again. Out of town until Monday. Having a different issue since we can ran the checkdisk. I can't boot into safe mode anymore. It stalls at AGP440.sys.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

I can't boot into safe mode anymore

That is bad news.

Please run the SeaTools boot disk (Long/Extended test) to check your hard drive and let us know what happens, and the result.

Then let us know the current situation with your system? Can you start Windows normally or in Safe Mode? If not, what do you see when attempting to boot the system in either mode? What do you see when choosing to start Windows using the "Disable automatic restart" option.

Also, please confirm that you were able to backup up all personal data of importance from the system to another place.

Have a good weekend.

Edited by AustrAlien, 18 December 2010 - 05:05 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

I did some research on the net about the system hanging on AGP440.sys when loading safe mode. I disabled it using the repair option on the Win XP disc and now the system boots normally. I am currently looking at a very basic screen and can't re-install my video drivers. I am sure that the disabling ties to that in some way.

I am just running MBAM again and then I will run the Seatools you recommended.

All data is back up and safe. The external HD is currently being scanned for Malware and Viruses on another computer.

#14 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

So I re-enabled the AGP440.sys and reinstalled catalyst for my ATI card.

Everything seems to be ok. Going to run seatools for dos right now.

#15 Thies Windu

Thies Windu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

Seatools: DST Completed without Error; Short DST Passed; Long Test Passed.

The drive seems to be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users