Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost at Sea--Man Overboard! My eyeballs are ready to POP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hot One

Hot One

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

To you guru's of the sublime, qwerky, and illustrious leaders of the postcompumatic syndrome zombies:
Long story short:
I attempted the ComboFix for the godforsaken corruption of the Microsoft Security Essentials dobacle--much to my chagrin, even with my ability to follow details with impeccable grace and panash---I totally screwed up something! Ok, so I'm admitting defeat in regard to the impeccability of my self gratiating detail mongering; but alas, the ComboFix {at this juncture} is the least of my concerns--trust me!

I'm running---let me sit corrected--WAS running Windows 7 Professional; Service Pack 0, {English} 64 bit; Bios Version AD1, on a Dell: Inspiron "Zino" 400", 64 bit Desktop.
After attempting the ill-fated ComboFix, something went haywire, and I lost the operating system loader (I think that's what happened), thus enabling my et nauseum loopback to a veritable plethora of undaunting attempts to repair the system files--which it wouldn't allow me to do, nor go back to a previous restore reimage--which the computer kept telling me was not ON the eleven discs I had previously backed them up onto. cut to the chase...I could visually see the files of the Windows Professional 7 I had come to love so dear in my attempts at doing everything I thought zombie possible to ressurect it's lifeless carcass, but nothing worked.
SO................................... {no chastising now, how I hate to be punished!} : )
I did the unthinkable....proceeded to load the Windows 7, Home Premium edition the computer iniatially came with back onto the hard drive; yes, knowing full well that my days of losing all my personal data, documents, etc. would be lost.
Well, having already prepared myself for that heartache ahead of time, my expert impeccability came forth to the resue once again! For now, I had apparently partitioned the hard drive somehow, so that now I have a "functional" Windows 7 Home Premium and a visible "dysfunctional" Windows 7 Professional both on my hard drive. The most troubling thing now, is that the computer must be defaulting to the dysfuncional sector first when I start up the computer, so I have to go through (relive) my nightmare on zombie street each login and boot it to the OTHER Windows 7 sector.
Can ANYONE out there beat me silly with an ugly stick and take me away from my sector identity crisis?
Thank you in advance to you most daring of souls whoso choose to walk delicately on my wounded circuitry and semi-conductors of ill-repute!
Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

If you have two installs...on two distinct partitions...seems to me all that you have to do is use Easy BCD to edit the boot files...and delete the unwanted uninstall...after making sure that the boot files are NOT on the partition you delete.

Although I have Win 7 installed...I don't get into it much and certainly know a lot less about it than I do about XP and how it works.

I suggest that you await some input from more knowledgeable, daily users of Win 7 :), there are plenty who visit this forum.

Louis

#3 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:57 AM

Greetings Hot one,

I've destroyed more than one installation of Windows over the years to learn how I might recover from it, so I might be able to help you.

11 discs? It sounds like what you have there is a complete system image backup that you burned to those discs. Is my assumption correct? If so, you should certainly be able to restore the system using that image file.

If not, do you have or have you yet created the System Emergency Repair disc?...otherwise, certainly among those 11 discs you created, one of them must be an installation DVD. You should be able to recover the non-working Windows 7 installation from there.

You can't have two working installations of the same operating system...Windows won't allow it, although you can install more than one copy as you found out. What happens is, one system becomes non working, as in your case, and rather than repairing that one, you can install a fresh copy...also, as you have.

Said that for the benefit of other readers here.

Now...please tell me what happens when you choose the non-working Windows installation from the boot menu. Please be descriptive as to exact error message of whatever the screen displays. Thanks!

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

so I have to go through (relive) my nightmare on zombie street each login and boot it to the OTHER Windows 7 sector

Ok, after you do this (boot to the operational OS)try this:

Start button > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System.

Click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system that you want to use when you turn on or restart your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users