Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Intel HD drivers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

Is it ok to install the Intel HD graphics drivers directly from Intel.com website instead of using the Sony esupport drivers website? I noticed that the Intel HD drivers on intel is more current and I wanted to use it to upgrade my current video driver. I know I might have to uninstall the current drivers and then install the newer drivers from intel to make it install right but I wanted to make sure that I would have no problems on my computer using the latest drivers from Intel's website.

This is the model of my Sony notebook.

VPC-EB3QFX
http://www.vanillaice378.proboards74.com

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

As long as they are for the same chipset then yes you can

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

I used the Automatically identify and find drivers thing and ran it and it said.

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed 8.15.0010.2182
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Should I just ignore this and go ahead and download the latest drivers from Intel?

Now I did talk to Sony tech support and they said something about all Sony notebooks are OEM drivers and they said they recommend to only download them from esupport website.

Posted Image

#4 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Latest drivers from Sony website

Version :

Last Modified :
09/21/2010

This is the latest version from Intel.com website

Version:

Date:
12/08/2010

As you see the Intels website is more current. But is it still best to use the older version Sonys custom made driver? I would assume soon Sony will update there drivers but I just wanted to know if it's ok to just uninstall the Sony drivers and install Intels drivers that is more updated.

Someone did say to ignore the 8.15.10 part since that's the Sony driver numbers and they said look at the rest of the numbers. Like 2182 vs 2246 from Intel. Eather way it seems like the Intel is newer than Sonys.

I just need to know that forsure it will work right using the Intel drivers instead of the Sony drivers. Now I do know I need to uninstall the Sony driver and then install the Intel drivers to work since if I don't it won't let me install the Intel drivers. It will say this.

"The driver been installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will exit"

Edited by lcswoosh05, 16 December 2010 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

Please proceed at your own risk, I can not test the out-come to offer you a fail-safe recommendation.

Save your original files from Sony in a convenient location like your desktop as a back-up.

PLEASE CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT FIRST BEFORE PROCEEDING ANY FERTHER!!

Un-install the Sony driver.

Reboot your computer.

Ignore any notices to install generic windows drivers.

Install the Intel driver and check the system for stability and possible screen resolutions to see if you've lost any options such as number of pixels and screen sizes with this driver.

If all checks out Okay with this driver and there are no crashes, stick with it.

If the driver causes your system to crash, you have a loss of choices of screen sizes, loss of pixels, then un-install this driver and resort back to the Sony drivers.

You'll just have to wait patiently until Sony releases a stable updated driver.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 December 2010 - 03:14 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

mrBruce said it all :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Well do most of you guys use drivers directly from Intel, ATI, Nvidia? Or do most of you guys use OEM drivers from Sony, Toshiba, Compaq etc? If you guys mostly use directly from like Intel did you guys have problems? Did it work better overall using ATI, Nvidia, Intel etc?

Posted Image

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

As long as its the right chipset, the intel will work. The OEM drivers just make it easy in that they bundle all the drivers together for easier installation, if you don't go with them you may have to hunt down the individual drivers. Me personally, I go with whats easiest and what works-if you have the OEM drivers and they install and run stable, then fantastic, if not try getting them straight from intel, if they run stable then fantastic. The wonderful thing about drivers, is like MrBruce said-they are just software, and if they arn't running right you can always uninstall them, and no harm done. Just make sure you create a restore point before installing them, and you won't have any issues.

picard5.jpg

#9 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Well is it possible that the OEM drivers have more features since maybe my Intel HD has added features that the original Intel HD doesn't have? If so then the Sony drivers might be the best. But I did hear some people say that sometimes they take out features and make it smaller install file so you can download it quicker. But if that's the case for that then I would say the Intel drivers are better since it's a full version. But also I remember someone saying that it could even be possible that they took some features out on the hardware so the drivers need to be different.

Basicly I don't know if they did any changes on the hardware for my Sony notebook but most people have said that most companies have added more features on the hardware meaning upgraded it from the original Intel HD.

Posted Image

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

Well here is the deal with me and my personal preferences.

Take my video card as an example.

My video card is an PNY nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP 256 MB Video card.

PNY is one of the companies that license nVidia graphics cards.

In the very beginning, I downloaded my drivers from the PNY web site.

Have tried the ones suggested by Windows Update.

But have preferred to download them from nVidia's web site.

Next case in point.

I have a NetGear GA311 GigaBit 1000 MBPS Ethernet PCI adapter released under the NetGear licensed name, the drivers I installed for it I downloaded from Realtec semiconductor rather than NetGear.

My chipset drivers which originally came on an Asus A7V8X resource disk I downloaded from the VIA web site since the chipset is released by VIA. Besides, support from Asus for the A7V8X motherboard stopped back in 2004, so any drivers they will have will be from 2004 backwards. But the chipset had continued support from VIA up to 2010.

So sometimes you have to accept support form the publisher of a driver, who keep things up-to-date rather than dealing with dis-continued support from the OEM.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

Well here is the deal with me and my personal preferences.

Take my video card as an example.

My video card is an PNY nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP 256 MB Video card.

PNY is one of the companies that license nVidia graphics cards.

In the very beginning, I downloaded my drivers from the PNY web site.

Have tried the ones suggested by Windows Update.

But have preferred to download them from nVidia's web site.

Next case in point.

I have a NetGear GA311 GigaBit 1000 MBPS Ethernet PCI adapter released under the NetGear licensed name, the drivers I installed for it I downloaded from Realtec semiconductor rather than NetGear.

My chipset drivers which originally came on an Asus A7V8X resource disk I downloaded from the VIA web site since the chipset is released by VIA. Besides, support from Asus for the A7V8X motherboard stopped back in 2004, so any drivers they will have will be from 2004 backwards. But the chipset had continued support from VIA up to 2010.

So sometimes you have to accept support form the publisher of a driver, who keep things up-to-date rather than dealing with dis-continued support from the OEM.

Bruce.

So I guess the point you are saying is that alot of times companies who make the computer like Sony after couple of years they discontinue updating there drivers so if you want more updated drivers you have to goto like Intel.com website to get the latest updates? Is this is correct on what you are trying to say then are you saying that even the OEM drivers might be a better fit for your computer but it's still better to use the drivers directly from like Intel for example since it's more updated?

Posted Image

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

Well its basically a matter of preference in the beginning, but then you tend to find your choices are limited once the OEM companies stop offering updated drivers.

Now mind you, one of the main reasons web sites offering drivers say what they say about going to your OEM web site is not because of the drivers that are being offered, but for the SOFTWARE that comes with the drivers.

A video driver is a driver.

But most video drivers from OEM's come with control panels or graphical features that enhance the drivers with GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces)

The video cards software for example has buttons and sliders to make the video on the screen appear lighter, darker, greener, bluer, up-side down, dual screen, etc.

Same with sound cards, a driver is a driver, but some audio cards come with software that adds sound effects to the audio output and many other audio editing abilities.

So basically the software manipulates and takes advantage of the built-in features of the hardware.

The downside to all this software is what we call included un-needed crap-ware!

The disk is full of trial software, Direct X versions that are as old as the hills! And many other un-needed pices of software they try to push on you with bells and whistles! But..free is NOT free, its a TRIAL version!

Over the years, this support for this item is discontinued and the hardware is pushed into the archives as legacy or no longer supported hardware.

Eventually the Operating systems that support the software are no more, such as with Windows 7, try using Easy CD Creator 4 from Adaptec on an XP, Vista or Windows 7 computer, it won't even run and will cause serious errors in the Windows Registry if you force install it!

But that is the software, which relied on a DOS Shell to run correctly.

Drivers however can still be written by the original publisher of the drivers, long after your hardware's software support has ended.

This is when it is good to go with the Publisher rather than the OEM, you'll get drivers that work, you just won't get the software along with it.

Hope this explains it a little bit better.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 December 2010 - 07:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users