Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

smarthdd virus +, rkill bsod

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 postal_dude

postal_dude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

hi all, my friend has the smart hdd virus on his laptop and after a quick search i found that its a rkill and malware bytes job. however i can't seem to run any version (renamed version) of rkill i have. any version i run (both normally and as admin) doesn't seem to open the normal dos window however it is in the processes of ctrl alt del. if i try to open it again then i get the bsod and tend to have different reasons for them (iastor.sys and bad pool caller are two i can remember), and this also happens in safe mode.

any info on why i keep getting the bsod? why rkill wont run? and how to get rid of this smart hdd defrager virus removed?

many thanks in advance! (p;s running vista home prem)

Edited by postal_dude, 16 December 2010 - 09:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

Are you downloading fresh copies of the various versions of rkill (i.e. not using old versions downloaded at some earlier time)?
Are you waiting long enough for rkill to do its job before attempting "the processes of ctrl alt del. if i try to open it again"?
If after waiting ... and determining that one version of rkill is not working, have you tried running another version (not the same one)?
Vista and Win7 users need to right-click and choose Run as Admin

Please follow the removal guide at the following link:
Remove Smart HDD (Uninstall Guide)

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM. Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Please post the log and let us know how the system is running now.

Edit: Let us know if you are still having a problem with getting rkill to run.

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 December 2010 - 04:52 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users