Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anything to consider before buying dial-up modem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

Everything is working in the PC that I built. Now I just need to buy a dial-up modem. Is there anything I need to know before I buy the modem? It will plug into one of the latest ASUS 64 bit motherboards. I'm using Windows 7. I'll use it for Internet, and I don't know if there are any considerations when using my HP All-in-one with fax.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

I'm wondering why you want to buy a Modem. Are you stuck using a Dial-Up connection to connect to the internet? If so, I'm so sorry, and know that all of us here feel your pain. The HP Printer that you have connects to the computer Via USB, the Fax part connects to a Phone Line from the wall. The Phone Modem in the Fax Machine is all that is required, besides a Phone Number assigned to the line you plug into it.

I wanted to clarify that because I somehow think you are under the impression that you need a Dial Up Modem in your computer for the Fax to work, if not, then I'm sorry for thinking that of you.

To answer what you were plainly asking:

Rosewill RNX-56AG

Agere Software base Modem Design
Windows 7 Ready

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164003

<edit below>
In case the Drivers that come on a CD when you order this part from Newegg do not work, here a link to Download the drivers directly from the Rosewill website.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 16 December 2010 - 10:29 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

I need a dial-up modem to connect to the Internet. I can't afford high-speed Internet. The 10 year old modem from my old Compaq Presario won't work because if has outdated driver(s). Just easier to buy another one since these are cheap.

I have an HP office jet 5610 all-in-one printer, fax, copy, scan. Are you saying the modem in the HP All-in-one can be used to connect to the Internet?

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

No, I'm not. I was saying if you believed you needed a Modem in your computer to use the Fax feature of your Printer, you were under the wrong impression. I clarified the differences, and then provided a link to the part you were asking for, in case you really did need a Dial-Up Modem to connect to the internet. The link I showed you has the Modem you are looking for. After installing that Modem you will be connecting to the internet, in no time... lol
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

Ditto on the modem recommendation above.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50002177%20600013764&IsNodeId=1&Description=modem%2056k&name=PCI%20Bus%20%28Plug%20%26%20Play%29

Agere or Conexant chipsets work great. Dial up modems are really a commodity you buy by price, the cheaper the better.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

Cool, thanks very much

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members